THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Chicago north side/north suburbs

Newinhouse
This topic is 2431 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I actually just scored a night stay at the Palmer House for $110. I’ve signed up for a couple of 5K runs (one is actually 8K) this year and I’d rather stay in a hotel than worry about driving in first thing in the morning and worry about looking for parking. So why not spend the night and stay literally across the street from where the run begins/ends. Gives me the option of hiring someone to help me relax as well LOL

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually just scored a night stay at the Palmer House for $110. I’ve signed up for a couple of 5K runs (one is actually 8K) this year and I’d rather stay in a hotel than worry about driving in first thing in the morning and worry about looking for parking. So why not spend the night and stay literally across the street from where the run begins/ends. Gives me the option of hiring someone to help me relax as well LOL

Stayed there on business a few years ago. Was a good place to stay. Rooms big, bathrooms small, except the tub/shower was big. If you walk out the east door, turn right, Millers Bar was a decent place to grab a drink, or some bar food.

Stayed there on business a few years ago. Was a good place to stay. Rooms big, bathrooms small, except the tub/shower was big. If you walk out the east door, turn right, Millers Bar was a decent place to grab a drink, or some bar food.

Yeap, and the fact that it’s steps away from the Red Line train so I can still take the train and go to Boystown or Andersonville if needed

Ridge, who has long since retired, used to live in Berwyn.

After I got my driver's license but st

Ridge, who has long since retired, used to live in Berwyn.

When I saw Ridge at his place, I'm pretty sure it was in Oak Park.....that man was the epitome of a rugged / masculine hot top....facially, he "wore" the unshaven/5 o'clock shadow look (which I love on most men) even better than most others.....he provided a memorable encounter....pricier than most others at the time, though too.....but, in case - YGWYPF....(you got what you paid for).

. . . . When I saw Ridge at his place, I'm pretty sure it was in Oak Park.....that man was the epitome of a rugged / masculine hot top....facially, he "wore" the unshaven/5 o'clock shadow look (which I love on most men) even better than most others.....he provided a memorable encounter....pricier than most others at the time, though too.....but, in case - YGWYPF....(you got what you paid for).

Oak Park is a beautiful area west of the City. There are some beautiful homes there.

Oak Park is a beautiful area west of the City. There are some beautiful homes there.

... of which Ernest Hemingway, who went to high school there, said:

Oak Park: A Village of Wide Lawns and Narrow Minds.

It was the World's Largest Village, at pop. 60,000. River Forest, just west, has a pop. 12,000 and was home to Paul Harvey ("Paul Harvey News and Comment").

They are good places to be from. I'm afraid they are a little too right-leaning for my tastes.

Edited by gallahadesquire

It was (? still is) the World's Largest Village, at pop. 60,000. River Forest, just west, has a pop. 12,000 and was home to Paul Harvey ("Paul Harvey News and Comment").

They are good places to be from. I'm afraid they are a little too right-leaning for my tastes.

Yes. But then again there is Edison Park which is in Chicago. In order to work in Chicago you have to reside within the city. So multiple numbers of cops and firefighters live in Edison Park. It is extremely right-leaning even though it is within the City. My sister lives in Park Ridge which is right across the street from Edison Park. Park Ridge is a separate city in the county. It used to have beautiful bungalow homes which are all being torn down and replaced by huge homes filled with wealthy young families.

It was the World's Largest Village, at pop. 60,000. River Forest, just west, has a pop. 12,000 and was home to Paul Harvey ("Paul Harvey News and Comment").

Don't know anything about River Forest, other than it has beautiful homes, and you may be right. However, a couple of blue state friends of mine, recent co-workers, lived in Oak Park, and from the friends and family members of them I met, not right leaning. My impression has been it's gay friendly, and for a time, Oak Park had a lesbian mayor, or city president.

Edited by bashful

My sister lives in Park Ridge which is right across the street from Edison Park. Park Ridge is a separate city in the county. It used to have beautiful bungalow homes which are all being torn down and replaced by huge homes filled with wealthy young families.

A neighbor of mine in my suburban condo is from Edison Park. Its a good area. I used to go to a couple of restaurants there.

This also remembered me about Park Ridge. A destination suburb for many. A co-worked inherited his grandparents house in Park Ridge about 15 or more years ago. Real estate market got hot about the same time he decided to move away. He put the house for sale by owner. Got a knock on the door, a guy offered him the advertised price, no negotiation. He asked the guy at the door if he wanted to see the inside. Guy at the door said nope. Co-worker moved away, and house went away (torn down).

A neighbor of mine in my suburban condo is from Edison Park. Its a good area. I used to go to a couple of restaurants there.

This also remembered me about Park Ridge. A destination suburb for many. A co-worked inherited his grandparents house in Park Ridge about 15 or more years ago. Real estate market got hot about the same time he decided to move away. He put the house for sale by owner. Got a knock on the door, a guy offered him the advertised price, no negotiation. He asked the guy at the door if he wanted to see the inside. Guy at the door said nope. Co-worker moved away, and house went away (torn down).

The only bad thing about bucolic Park Ridge is that there are now landing patterns that bring a good portion of the airplanes that land at O'Hare over the suburb. It can get pretty loud. I do not live there so I do know if the patterns switch day-to-day or if it is every day. At any rate, it can get loud. I do not live there. I believe it is like the "L" near where I do live and after a while you just tune it out.

They have added a couple more runways so the sound from the planes landing goes over more suburbs but is split up on certain days.

As I remember, it was always late evening, and only lasted an hour or so. This was in the late '50's, early '60's. It would also depend on wind, phase of the moon, je ne sais quoi ...

As I remember, it was always late evening, and only lasted an hour or so. This was in the late '50's, early '60's. It would also depend on wind, phase of the moon, je ne sais quoi ...

No, if I recall correctly, a couple new runways were added within the last couple of years. They alternate takeoffs/landings and it may only be in the daytime but I may be wrong about that. I am going to email my sister who lives there and try to get the scoop. I am only going off my memory (which is not very good in general) of what the town was complaining about within the last decade.

I found out that the City added 2 East-West runways within the last 4 to 6 years and started using another that had been in existence but seldom used. At the same time 2 diagonal flow runways were closed. The diagonals went over non-residential areas and so neighborhoods were spared the noise.

Allegedly the diagonals were not safe even though they were used for many years without incident but probably it is because the additional runways allow more and larger planes to land. A "fly quiet" program which alternates plane flow over different areas and thereby distributes the noise (suffering) was developed but must still be approved by the FAA. The fly quiet plan is dependent on the use of the last diagonal runway. However that runway is slated to be closed in a few years so that even if the FAA OK's the program it will be closed down not long after.