THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

The Deuce

Kevin Slater
This topic is 2504 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I'm of the opinion that The Wire is the best thing ever to have been on tv (followed by Breaking Bad). Now the guy how created that has a new HBO show about Time Square prostitution in the 70s called The Deuce. I watched the first episode last night and like it so far with high hopes. And I'm taking note for my eventual transition into pimping.

Kevin "Comfort" Slater

I'm of the opinion that The Wire is the best thing ever to have been on tv (followed by Breaking Bad). Now the guy how created that has a new HBO show about Time Square prostitution in the 70s called The Deuce. I watched the first episode last night and like it so far with high hopes. And I'm taking note for my eventual transition into pimping.

Kevin "Comfort" Slater

Please don't start pimping before I get to see you as a client!! Watch the Charlie Rose interview with the 2 creators of the show and Maggie Gillenhaal, its star - really terrific.

Kevin "Comfort" Slater

I agree, The Wire was great television.

I hope the show finds its groove.

I saw The Deuce and it is really good as far as acting and technical. It is just SO depressing so far though. I would definitely watch it again but now I know what is in store. It would be interesting to hear what New Yorkers have to say about the technical aspects of production. It takes place in the beginning of the 70s, not the most beautiful era of the city.

• 1 month later...

I completed the first season and I think it is actually a very good series. The lead actors (James Franco - who I usually don't like - and Maggie Gyllenhaal) are both really good. They also have a great supporting cast. I am also very happy that they have a cast that includes a gay character that it not a drugged out drag queen. There is a second gay character that demonstrates the horrible conditions that some gay people found themselves in the 50's and early 60's. I am looking forward to the second season.

I can’t get HBO here in Kuala Lumpur but caught the first three episodes before leaving. I was mesmerized!! I got to NYC in June of 1971, the year in which Deuce is set. They got it all as I remember it (save the interiors of brothels which I didn’t get to till later). I felt the same about the sets and costumes of Mad Men on HBO. I too am a big Maggie fan (remember Happy Endings). I’m looking forward to catching the rest of the season when I get back later this month. No spoilers please.

Oh and Kevin I too selfishly hope you’re not rushing into that transition too soon but when you do it will be with the same panache. I’m thinking purple velour with ruffles.

I can’t get HBO here in Kuala Lumpur but caught the first three episodes before leaving. I was mesmerized!! I got to NYC in June of 1971, the year in which Deuce is set. They got it all as I remember it (save the interiors of brothels which I didn’t get to till later). I felt the same about the sets and costumes of Mad Men on HBO. I too am a big Maggie fan (remember Happy Endings). I’m looking forward to catching the rest of the season when I get back later this month. No spoilers please. . . .

I watched both The Opposite of Sex (which Maggie is not in but Christina Ricci is so good) and Happy Endings again last night. They are both such funny comedies by the game guy. And Maggie G. is great in Happy Endings. Actually it has a wonderful cast, including Lisa Kudrow (who is so great in everything reputable she does), Bobby Cannavale (be still my heart), Laura Dern, and Steve Coogan. Well worth a watch if you have not seen it.

Isn't Tom Arnold in "Happy Endings" too. It has been a long time since I've seen it but if it's the same movie, he gives a great performance as the father of a gay son. Or do I have my independent gay themed movies with surprising actors in them all mixed up?

Isn't Tom Arnold in "Happy Endings" too. It has been a long time since I've seen it but if it's the same movie, he gives a great performance as the father of a gay son. Or do I have my independent gay themed movies with surprising actors in them all mixed up?

No, you are absolutely right. Tom Arnold plays the father of a gay guy. Arnold is really good in it, as is the son. Arnold gives a pretty sedate but funny performance.

Archived