THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Dunkirk

marylander1940
This topic is 1765 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

good point....yes, those three "chapters" were announced within the first few minutes, as one week/one day/one hour (or similar).....could be confusing to some......I guess I didn't take the three separate stories that seriously and just followed the action as just things going on in different parts of the region.....I may not be that sophisticated o_O

Or quite sophisticated and just immediately got what Nolan was saying about temporal dissonance due to the gravity of war, while the rest of us were trying to just keep up;)

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just finished watching on bluRay.

Thought it was good. Great cinematography, music. Although the three story lines became apparent early on, took a bit of time to feel engaged. Little character development intended, so it differs from most war, battle dramas.

My first film exposure to Dunkirk was Mrs. Miniver, and that's certainly minimal. I'd heard of Dunkirk, of course, did some cursory reading.... I think this movie does an admirable job of presenting the scope.

I seem to recall a film or perhaps TV series in which there is a huge battle being fought. One of the last scenes is on the beach where 3 or four of the main army characters are walking among the army personnel waiting to be rescued by the boats that has left Britain (all types of boats, not just Navy boats). It is remarkable in that the scene is filmed without a break. Does anyone recall the work and if it a Dunkirk scene I am remembering. Or perhaps it is a WWI battle?

I seem to recall a film or perhaps TV series in which there is a huge battle being fought. One of the last scenes is on the beach where 3 or four of the main army characters are walking among the army personnel waiting to be rescued by the boats that has left Britain (all types of boats, not just Navy boats). It is remarkable in that the scene is filmed without a break. Does anyone recall the work and if it a Dunkirk scene I am remembering. Or perhaps it is a WWI battle?

was it the Dunkirk scene in Atonement?

Yes, that is it. You know old age and memory. That scene was phenomenal and ultimately so sad. I thought it was such a great movie. But all three leads were amazing (in fact I would definitely marry Kiera Knightly, and I'm gay.)

Putting that aside, I was thinking of Dunkirk in general and putting aside the fact that it was the ultimate wartime disaster, can you imagine the boatsmen who were not in the Royal Fleet who risked their lives just to go and rescue the men stranded on the beach. Such bravery and patriotism.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I am really late on this one. Watched it twice while waiting out the rain pouring down here in SoCal.

Loved this movie. Very well done.

I took away some important messages.

Glad to know about the movie and the history of the events. A lot to unpack. Accomplished a lot.

Fionn Whitehead was perfect as Tommy. Christopher Nolan knew what he was doing with this cast, IMO.

MV5BYWUyYjFhYjYtNGUzZC00NmM5LTkyODUtYmE2YjIzNDVlNzNmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzExMTY0MjU@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,674,1000_AL_.jpg

Edited by E.T.Bass