THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Fun in Newport Beach

RyanMoore
This topic is 2608 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey guys I'm new here so I hope I'm posting in the right spot. Im a masseur in Los Angeles, but Im heading to Newport Beach in a few weeks for the first time. Is there anything that u guys recommend that i see, do, or restaurants while Im there on my down time? Looking forward to your recommendations Thanks! :)

Do you have a link to your massage ad? Would love to learn more.

The Boom Boom Room will be open for Labor Day weekend: September 2-4. :) :) :)

It will be a fund raiser for HRC and other gay charities.

When it was open for Gay Pride for one night, it was packed with the line to get in going down the block.

West Beach attracts one of the biggest crowds of the year for Labor Day with up to several thousand men.

• 2 weeks later...

Damn. All the hostility for my home town. Well, where we live any way. But, I agree with many sentiments. Though, we aren't cute, don't drive BMWs, Mercedes, or have 2 kids. My wife is hot as only a mature confident mom and exec can be and we buy American (Tesla) and have 3 kids. :cool:

Hmm. Some Newport brag in there. :D

Damn. All the hostility for my home town. Well, where we live any way. But, I agree with many sentiments. Though, we aren't cute, don't drive BMWs, Mercedes, or have 2 kids. My wife is hot as only a mature confident mom of 3 and exec can be and we buy American (Tesla) and have 3 kids. :cool:

Hmm. Some Newport brag in there. :D

This SoCal-Southbay resident enjoys Newport quite a bit. Especially the boating scene for me.

The Equinox gym in Newport/Irvine is also really disappointing...nothing like the weho or NYC locations for that matter. Newport Beach is gorgeous, but the 'gay life' is practically non-exisitant/infantile...cant find a decent, gay massuer there. I've never been to The Tin Lizzie Saloon, but you might hit up that part of Costa Mesa near 'The Lab'.

Wish that Laguna was like it used to be...guess ya have to fly to fire island to get your gay beachyness on!

The Equinox gym in Newport/Irvine is also really disappointing...nothing like the weho or NYC locations for that matter. Newport Beach is gorgeous, but the 'gay life' is practically non-exisitant/infantile...cant find a decent, gay massuer there. I've never been to The Tin Lizzie Saloon, but you might hit up that part of Costa Mesa near 'The Lab'.

Wish that Laguna was like it used to be...guess ya have to fly to fire island to get your gay beachyness on!

Yes, we're a "family" kinda community in OC. There isn't alot of "alternative" culture, which is why LAers say we "live behind the orange curtain." Long Beach still has some but many other communities have been fully gentrified so finding a "gay ghetto" isn't likely. Though, as someone said above, there are "gay beaches," you just have to know where to go.

Yes, we're a "family" kinda community in OC. There isn't alot of "alternative" culture, which is why LAers say we "live behind the orange curtain." Long Beach still has some but many other communities have been fully gentrified so finding a "gay ghetto" isn't likely. Though, as someone said above, there are "gay beaches," you just have to know where to go.

One of my closest friends has falken in love with an "OC gay" and is being pulled into it bit by bit. I feel like he's been captured by a Borg and being turned into this dull "post gay" dude who would rather have "a nice meal with a perfectly paired wine" then go out and have any fun. God save me from gays who want to assimilate!!

I am a New Yorker, but I visit Laguna every year. It is sort of cute. Is the gay-friendly nude beach not there anymore? I forgot the name of it.

No idea. I don't seek them out. Here's some info, but it's 8 years old, so ancient history.

http://laist.com/2009/09/01/where_the_boys_are_the_5_gayest_bea.php

Here's a more recent ranking from a travel blogger who visited some "gay" beaches early this year.

https://hetravel.com/san-diego-mat/

One of my closest friends has falken in love with an "OC gay" and is being pulled into it bit by bit. I feel like he's been captured by a Borg and being turned into this dull "post gay" dude who would rather have "a nice meal with a perfectly paired wine" then go out and have any fun. God save me from gays who want to assimilate!!

Hahahahahaha! You've described a few gay couples in our neighborhood. It was funny the one time we joined one of them with a friend of theirs who'd just bought a place on the beach in Long Beach. I'm not sure, but I think we were their token straight couple. My wife and I were 2 of the 3 "straight" people at the party and when we drove home, we had a fascinating conversation about the apparent differences between our friends (OC gays) the Long Beach gays, the West Hollywood gays, and the Downtown LA gays. It really was very interesting as a study in sociocultural and economic diversity and priorities. Humanity is fascinating.

And by the way, nice meals with great pairings can be very fun with guests or family. People don't have to "go out" to have fun. ;)

Laguna has some great places to eat:

Zinc (same as in Newport)

Lumberyard (free parking but you need to enter off Ocean)

Sapphire (free parking behind the restaurant). Great weekend brunch.

In the same center is Chocolate Soldier with candy made right there

Star Fish (free parking)

Alessa [they have a place in Newport:pirozzi]

Nick's

Rumari for great Italian food (a few parking spaces behind the restaurant)

Coyote Grill (far enough South that parking is not terrible and they have a charge

Valet lot). Great breakfast place and not crowded in the morning. Come

Early for lunch or dinner as it gets crowded.

Dizz's As Is. Very unique. Great food. Nothing like it anywhere. There are two or

three parking spaces behind the restaurant but you need to know how to get

there. Fun place.

The art is not what it use to be. Mostly tourist "beachee" stuff but there are gems every so often. The Laguna Art Museum has good shows. Pageant of the Arts does have good quality art. If you have not seen The Pageant of the Masters with the living pictures, it is interesting but this year's show is weak. For art, suggest going to The Bower's Museum in Santa Ana (great cafe for lunch) which has a strong Pacific Island art collection and a nice Chinese collection plus interesting shows.

Like most beach cities, Laguna has amazing eye candy on the beaches, West Beach is the "gay beach" and on holiday weekends, it can have thousands of gay men who come from all over. West Beach has its own Facebook page for lots of pictures.

During the Summer, you can park in lots on the edge of the city and there are free trolly busses that go up and down Coast Highway and Canyon Road. An easy way to get around without worrying about parking. Uber is good here, too.

Like most beach cities, housing prices are crazy but if you are not house shopping, that is not a problem.

Enjoy.

Only in California do reviews of restaurants primarily include discussion of the parking and valet options.

That's because in Seattle you just assume there's no free parking unless told otherwise. :(

Gman

Archived