THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Jeanne Moreau RIP ("Each Man Kills The Thing He Loves")

RyanDean
This topic is 2533 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

A great loss. She was one of the greats of French cinema. My personal favorite among her films was Truffaut's " The Bride Wore Black (La Marieé Était en Noire)". She had a distinctive face, she was not generically pretty. Like all the greatest screen actors she was capable of communicating a great deal without saying a word. Here is a clip from Louis Malle's 1958 film "Elevator to the Gallows (l'Ascenseur pour l' Échafaud)" with its score by Miles Davis.

Guest DeepSouthDad53

Sorry-My knowledge of French cinema is limited: Was she the same generation as Bardot? (yes, I know Moreau is in a different class) She was a generation before Catherine Deneuve?

Sorry-My knowledge of French cinema is limited: Was she the same generation as Bardot? (yes, I know Moreau is in a different class) She was a generation before Catherine Deneuve?

She was contemporary with Bardot. They notably made a film together "Viva Maria" also directed by Louis Malle in 1965. Moreau won the BAFTA for best actress in a foreign film. If I remember correctly a young George Hamilton was also in this film from 1965.

Starting with high school, I fell in love with the new wave of french cinema, and my addiction persists to this very day.... hours and hours with Godard, Truffaut....

And Jeanne Moreau - in Jules and Jim - a masterwork.

Jeanne Moreau is truly a hero of mine, and her passing affects me deeply!

Archived