THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Enjoy Another Jerry Herman Number - Not from Dolly..

Good Grief
This topic is 2552 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Mame is a tough role to cast. The women you'd think would be perfect have fallen flat playing the role (Christine Baranski). I know, years back, there was talk of Cher doing it on stage at some point... That may have worked.

It's tough for me to think of someone who can carry a tune, yet effortlessly embody the character the way a woman like Roz Russell or Angela Lansbury did.

It's tough for me to think of someone who can carry a tune, yet effortlessly embody the character...

Ironic to think that, for the film, they cast someone who did neither of those things. :eek:

(Lucille Ball was so amazing when she was in her wheelhouse, but Mame was just not a good fit in any way.)

(Lucille Ball was so amazing when she was in her wheelhouse, but Mame was just not a good fit in any way.)

Lucy may have eventually turned the 1960 musical "Wildcat" into a hit. based on her box office appeal and pure determination.

Lucy and Desi were divorced and he was no longer a full-time, very savvy adviser. Desi did tell Lucy very early that she was totally wrong for the Mame character.

How about Meagan Mullally?

I'd cast Mullally as Gooch in a heartbeat.

To me, the key to the role of Mame is a real simple honest humanity and warmth. Camp the role up too much and it loses something. Even though it's a star turn I don't think it should feel like one. To me, at least on the cast recording (as I didn't see the original production - I had just turned 2 when it opened lol), Lansbury is able to communicate both - a real sense of vocal "ownership" of the score that befits a star, but also a true warmth and simplicity that makes her believable as a genuine person just trying to enjoy life to the fullest while also trying to raise her nephew. I think it can be so easy to overplay songs like "Open A New Window" or "If He Walked Into My Life" - Lansbury just lets them be. (And it's a testament to her versatility after her previous Broadway role - the over-the-top corrupt scheming Mayoress in Anyone Can Whistle.)

Vera and Gooch are the comic relief. Mame needs to be the earthier, more solid center of the show. (Which is why "If He Walked Into My Life" is such an emotional catharsis for her. She's lost control of Patrick and she knows it.)

Who is really the right match for the role nowadays, I'm just not sure. I think it's also a somewhat problematic show in of itself, which could also explain why it's never really found its way back to Broadway.

I am glad Bostonman mentioned "Anyone Can Whistle." I only saw the concert version with Angela Lansbury's introduction and Bernadette Peters. Madeleine Kahn and many others performing the musical. I do not think I had ever seen Lansbury or Kahn in person before that night.

I understand why the musical did not work, but still there were many reasons to love the Sondheim show.

Despite all the razz and jazz, "Mame" has to be about her and the boy or the show falls apart. It's a very simple story - an about to be middle-aged woman with too much money and time on her hands finds purpose through caring for an orphaned boy. Whoever is cast in the title role has to care fiercely for that kid and base her entire performance on that love or she fails. Watch Rosalind Russell's astounding performance in the movie. All she wants is to love that child and her disappointment and heartbreak when he grows up and momentarily becomes a little "Babbit" is so poignant that it makes the play.

As for stars of today to play it, I think Donna Murphy would be a good choice. She has the warmth, the voice and the attractiveness. Apparently, she's a wonderful Dolly, so there's obviously an affinity with Jerry Herman songs. I once saw Leslie Uggams in the role in summer stock and she was delightful; probably a bit long in the tooth for it now, though. Krakowski would be a great Vera but I don't think she has the subtle gentleness required for Mame. Laura Benanti maybe. She was terrific with the children in "The Sound of Music". Victoria Clark would have been a superb Mame but like Uggams, might be too old now. Kate Finneran would be my ultimate choice, though. Perfect casting.

Archived