THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Locker Rooms with open showers and/or Jacuzzi

Hairychest3
This topic is 2674 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I spent a good deal of last week at the NYSC in Forest Hills. A combo of open and stalled. Nice mix of guys.

... And yep, I opted to use the open showers ;)

Out of curiosity what time of day was that? Lol i have a very legitimate reason for asking?

I don't remember the main shower room in high school field house, but when it was being refurbished, we showered and changed in the Stadium across the street. Those were the five-headed cluster showers that everyone was sort of crowded into.

Run to the stadium. Change. Run to the field house. Do whatever. Run back. Shower. Get dressed.

[All in the Chicago winter. Good Lord, no WONDER I hate winter!]

Also, for two years, swimming was naked until someone had an erection; a mom found out; and that put the end to THAT. They still did give us suits, though, and I do believe they were swimming briefs.

How to Embarrass Chubby Kids 101.

I don't remember the main shower room in high school field house, but when it was being refurbished, we showered and changed in the Stadium across the street. Those were the five-headed cluster showers that everyone was sort of crowded into.

Run to the stadium. Change. Run to the field house. Do whatever. Run back. Shower. Get dressed.

[All in the Chicago winter. Good Lord, no WONDER I hate winter!]

Also, for two years, swimming was naked until someone had an erection; a mom found out; and that put the end to THAT. They still did give us suits, though, and I do believe they were swimming briefs.

How to Embarrass Chubby Kids 101.

My HS required we swim naked. It was an all boy public school in the Bronx New York. 14 or 15 year old boys are not really ready for that. I was lucky to have reached puberty. But getting a bard on was easy and would be embarssing. I survived. LoL

My HS required we swim naked. It was an all boy public school in the Bronx New York. 14 or 15 year old boys are not really ready for that. I was lucky to have reached puberty. But getting a bard on was easy and would be embarssing. I survived. LoL

Not bard but hard...lol

The DC area also has Spa World in Centreville. It's an Asian/Korean-style sex segregated place. They frequently have Groupons. I've never been but several of my gay friends have been there and enjoyed it.

When I was in HS (early 80s) most guys didn't shower after gym except after the swimming unit in 10th grade. I couldn't swim but enjoyed the showering. One time as I was exiting the shower one of my friends who played soccer and basketball was going in. We collided. His giant penis smacked me in the forearm. I think I almost fainted.

Does anyone really know why this has changed. It seems a lot of places with open showers are converting to private stalls and newer places just have the stalls? It seems that the open showers is a better use of space. At the gym I go to there are shower stalls and there is always a wait to use one. If they used the same area as an open shower they could add over 50% more room for showers.

I guess maybe the uptight straight dudes don't like guys seeing their small package.

Does anyone really know why this has changed. It seems a lot of places with open showers are converting to private stalls and newer places just have the stalls? It seems that the open showers is a better use of space. At the gym I go to there are shower stalls and there is always a wait to use one. If they used the same area as an open shower they could add over 50% more room for showers.

I guess maybe the uptight straight dudes don't like guys seeing their small package.

Attitudes have changed about casual nudity, perhaps because of the way kids have personal privacy drilled into them these days, perhaps because fewer people share bedrooms with siblings growing up, I don't know. But it seems as if younger men, especially, are less comfortable showering, and even changing, in front of each other. I see guys going into the toilet stalls just to change clothes. My PE teachers and coaches insisted we shower after class or practice, and checked to be sure we did by coming into the locker room and looking. That would get a coach arrested these days. At my sons' high school boys are "urged" to shower after gym class but I think many don't. So gyms probably are reacting to the new normal.

Millennials have the most at-odds attitude about sex and their own bodies.

They'll splay themselves out on Instagram, but get sheepish about showering in public or being naked around other guys.

They show distaste for bathhouses, but have no problem treating Grindr as the digital equivalent.

As we say in Texas, they're all hat and no cattle.

Millennials have the most at-odds attitude about sex and their own bodies.

They'll splay themselves out on Instagram, but get sheepish about showering in public or being naked around other guys.

True. How strange that at a time when fitness is an obsession, when men's magazines insistently advise on how to get better abs, biceps, glutes, etc, the same guys sculpting their bodies are uncomfortable with people seeing them.

I just don't understand why they don't keep some of the open spaces and just add a few private stalls for those uncomfortable. That way the guys who don't have issues with nudity can get in and out of the shower and not have to wait for an open stall.

I guess I don't understand. The dude that just took off his workout clothes in front of you needs to go to a stall in private and wash off only to stand naked next to someone else while getting dressed.

I guess I don't understand. The dude that just took off his workout clothes in front of you needs to go to a stall in private and wash off only to stand naked next to someone else while getting dressed.

But they don't do that. They put their underwear on under their wet towels.

I think a few things all collided - more only children who never shared a room, increased awareness of sexual abuse(let's be real, a lot of sex abuse-adjacent bullying went on back in the day and while that generation never talked about it, they all knew about it and don't want it for their kids), and the proliferation of cell phone cameras and pervs taking pictures in locker rooms and posting them online.

By the time I was in HS in the mid-late 80s nobody used the showers regularly, and I only saw them used I think 3 times in all of high school, and that was people who had somewhere to be in a hurry. Gym class didn't give us enough time to change to allow people to use the showers.

But they don't do that. They put their underwear on under their wet towels.

When you posted this, I laughed out loud at how true it was

I don't know where this level of ultra modesty is coming from, but in the gyms I've been to, this is a routine thing to see: Younger guys who may or may not have good bodies, going out of their way to remain covered.

A locker room doesn't have to be overtly sexual, but having the confidence to bare it all, even just to walk to the sink to shave, is not a bad thing to me.

I think a few things all collided - more only children who never shared a room, increased awareness of sexual abuse(let's be real, a lot of sex abuse-adjacent bullying went on back in the day and while that generation never talked about it, they all knew about it and don't want it for their kids), and the proliferation of cell phone cameras and pervs taking pictures in locker rooms and posting them online.

Yeah, the cell phone camera probably had a big effect in kids being warned about exposing themselves.

I suppose it varies from place to place a bit. My HS years were the early 90s and everybody showered. In college I was on a team and probably that"s a circumstance where people shower together even now-- certainly my sons and their teammates do after games, we parents have to wait for them! But my understanding is that apart from sports teams, few at their school do. And at my gym and pool, it's very generational. Older men walk around unconcernedly naked, men my age change and shower efficiently but don't hang out nude, and younger guys act as if they are afraid that if anyone sees their dicks they'll be raped. My three grew up in an all-male household where I took them with me to gym and pool all the time, so they're pretty casual about it, but I think that's not typical.

Archived