THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Locker Rooms with open showers and/or Jacuzzi

Hairychest3
This topic is 2674 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Years ago I remember going to The Body Center on 6th near 14th st. At the time it was a busy busy gym with an active "wet area" meaning showers (totally open) steam and sauna. There was a lot of see and be seen going on and lots and lots of "activity". But, they also had a hot tub and it was very obvious that the people in it were messing around. And while there was the smell of chlorine everywhere, there was a brown foam type scum that seemed to be always floating on the water. This was just at the beginning of the AIDs crisis. And I thought at the time....no way I'm getting in that hot tube. Never did. But it was always crammed with bodies. Til this day I'm not sure I'd get in a hot tub with a bunch of men I didn't know. :)

Even my local YMCA put those cheap bathroom-type stalls around the showers in the shower room. It's annoying, because the shower heads are kind of close together which means if you are above average in size you bang into the walls.

but public jacuzzis are just kind of unsanitary. You really only see them in hotel spas where people have definitely showered and the staff is continually cleaning. Gyms simply don't devote that much energy to cleaning to keep up with a gym one. Especially because lots of jerks would just hop in straight after working out without showering first. (It's a pet peeve of mine that so many people don't shower and then stink up the steamroom.)

Anyone else enjoy the jacuzzi at the Sports Connection in West Hollywood in the '80's and '90's? That was da bomb.

I do!

I belonged to the Sports Erection in the early 90's. So many gorgeous men. So much locker room fun! Times sure have changed!

Michigan State had the IM West, a cavernous, notorious cruising spot that always smelled of jockstraps and armpits. It had Rows and rows of open showers with 4 heads on each "shower tower" and a dark steam room where this 18 year-old got picked up by a state senator many, many years ago!

The space was long ago upgraded and made safe for straights

Open showers and whirlpools are a cultural part of both Russian and Korean baths: They're especially keen on showering before and after soaking, so it's rare you're going to find many of these places having anything but very clean, balanced water.

There's a good Russian bath on E 10th.

Juvenex on W. 32nd is a 24-hour Korean spa.

I love Spa Castle in College Park. Probably the largest and best Asian spa in the area.

King Spa in Palisades Park is my runner-up. Also large, clean and diverse.

None of these places are gay-specific and any action you're looking for needs to be on the DL. The wet areas are sex-segregated and especially with the Asian baths, remaining fully naked is what's culturally expected. It's a lot fun if you're an exhibitionist (or a voyeur, for that matter).

Open showers and whirlpools are a cultural part of both Russian and Korean baths: They're especially keen on showering before and after soaking, so it's rare you're going to find many of these places having anything but very clean, balanced water.

There's a good Russian bath on E 10th.

Juvenex on W. 32nd is a 24-hour Korean spa.

I love Spa Castle in College Park. Probably the largest and best Asian spa in the area.

King Spa in Palisades Park is my runner-up. Also large, clean and diverse.

None of these places are gay-specific and any action you're looking for needs to be on the DL. The wet areas are sex-segregated and especially with the Asian baths, remaining fully naked is what's culturally expected. It's a lot fun if you're an exhibitionist (or a voyeur, for that matter).

It is also very common in China. And I guess in many developing countries, it should be the case too.

Open showers are often the only way for students to take shower in most universities in China.

The West Side YMCA at 63rd St and Vanderbilt YMCA on the East side both have open showers (though Vanderbilt has partitions in between so you can't see the people next to you as much). 14th St YMCA has partitions with curtains but not everyone uses the curtains and some people leave them partially open.

but public jacuzzis are just kind of unsanitary. You really only see them in hotel spas where people have definitely showered and the staff is continually cleaning. Gyms simply don't devote that much energy to cleaning to keep up with a gym one. Especially because lots of jerks would just hop in straight after working out without showering first. (It's a pet peeve of mine that so many people don't shower and then stink up the steamroom.)

The are several gyms in the DC Metro area that have hot tubs in the lockerroom. I am a frequent user and have never had a issue.

...and yes, it is a pet peeve of mine too that so many jump in the Steam/Sauna/Jacuzzi without showering.

The are several gyms in the DC Metro area that have hot tubs in the lockerroom. I am a frequent user and have never had a issue.

...and yes, it is a pet peeve of mine too that so many jump in the Steam/Sauna/Jacuzzi without showering.

Which gyms? I'm headed to D.C. sometime this summer.

In high school and college the locker rooms had open showers and in a weird way, showering together after practice was a bonding experience. I learned early to control my eyes because of my too-intense-interest, but even then I enjoyed being casually naked with my classmates or teammates. When the team travelled, some places had stalls or partitions, always a little disappointing. Now the gym I belong to has shower stalls, but a nearby public pool I used still had an open shower room until they rebuilt it a few years ago. But all those years of being so careful left me pretty hard-wired not to look, anyway.

Which gyms? I'm headed to D.C. sometime this summer.

I am a suburbanite...so not sure what goes on in the city. The "Sport & Health" chain typically has a jacuzzi (and Sauna and Steam) in the locker rooms. LifeTime Athletic in Rockville, MD has a jacuzzi (and Sauna and Steam) in the locker room. LifeTime requires a bathing suite for Jacuzzi. I am not sure what the rules are now for Sport & Health. They have gone back and forth with the rules over the years.

Any New York Sports Club sauna or steam room is prime for watching and acting. Just go to NYC Craigslist personals and search "NYSC" for stories and best locations.

I spent a good deal of last week at the NYSC in Forest Hills. A combo of open and stalled. Nice mix of guys.

... And yep, I opted to use the open showers ;)

During my last six or eight weeks in the Army I was transferred to barracks for those about to be discharged. Open showers with people whom I got to know fairly well.

Yes. there were open showers in basic training also. But everything was too new and too rushed to take advantage.

Archived