THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

First Songs: Dawn Upshaw

foxy
This topic is 2732 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Dawn Upshaw is giving a performance at The Morgan Library April 13 at 7:30pm. Tickets are only $18 on tdf.

She's performing with the Bard College Conservatory Graduate Vocal Arts Program. She's being accompanied by pianist Kayo Iwama. The concert will feature premieres by various composers and will include some new and recently composed songs set to the poems of Emily Dickinson. It sounds like an interesting evening. I have a CD titled Dawn Upshaw sings Vernon Duke that someone once gave me. I'll listen to it now. Other than that I don't know much about her. Since there are several posters here who are far more sophisticated musically than I am I'd be interested in your opinions. It's certainly not the price of the ticket that stops me from ordering it's whether the evening would be well spent. I used to live 2 blocks from the Morgan Library and went there often but have never attended a concert there.

Dawn Upshaw is a singer with an amazingly broad repertoire. She is a noted interpreter of Mozart, as well as being favored by contemporary composers like Adams, Salonen, Saariaho, and Golijov. She also sings songs from the Great American Songbook by composers like Berstein, Weill, and Rogers and Hart beautifully. In this area she avoids that overly mannered and studied quality that frequently plagues Opera singers. I believe she gives master classes at Bard.

Archived