THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

The Cloisters NYC

foxy
This topic is 2735 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

As Spring slowly approaches the NY Metro area visitors and locals alike might be looking for an escape from the city that is only a 30 minute subway ride from midtown Manhattan.

The Cloisters, is part of the Metropolitan Museum of Art and houses an incredible collection of medieval art, architecture and gardens. The museum was built by John D Rockefeller in the 1930's. A walk through Fort Tryon Park as you approach the Cloisters will make you feel like you've been transported to someplace in Europe. No plane rides or passports required.

Even if you aren't interested in medieval art, a walk through the 4 acres of Fort Tryon Park will make the trip worthwhile. Bette Midler fans will be happy to know the park was rescued by the NYRP (New York Restoration Project) that she founded. Thanks Bette! If you go see Hello Dolly you can thank her in person.

If you work up an appetite there's a very nice restaurant on the grounds called New Leaf. This is a fieldstone cottage that Rockefeller had constructed as a cafe for visitors to the museum. It fell into ruin and was also rescued by Bette in 1995. The building was designed by the Olmsted Brothers.

www.newleafrestaurant.com

If you have a lot of museum stamina, your ticket to the Cloisters will also get you into the Metropolitan Museum and the Met Breuer. Three museums for one admission. Wear comfortable shoes !!

www.metmuseum.org

I took a semester-long course on Renaissance art at a major university about a decade ago. Thanks for reminding me about the Cloisters, @foxy.

The professor mentioned the Cloister often in classes. I already had a plane ticket to Rome when I signed up for the class. But, I added 5 days for Florence during the course. The trip to Italy was just after the course ended.

With total respect for people who hire travel guides, I prefer to prepare on my own, or not all in the case of Japan.

Usually a relatively private area on a weekday, well in my distance experience with the place. Great place to take a lunch and dine out in the open air. The buildings remain naturally cool, so if the spring temperatures get a bit high, you may have a refreshing place to rest.

It's one of my favorite places, anywhere. Here's a tip-- the admission charge is a "suggested amount." You have to pay something, but the amount is up to you. They suggest $25, but you can simply go to the desk, hand them whatever (I usually give $5) and they'll let you in. Sorry if that sounds cheap but with three kids I'd rather be cheap and take them places like this as often as possible.

The Met Museum got in a bit of trouble a few years ago when their "suggested" admission made it seem mandatory. The "pay what you want" was in small print. This is true for a number of museums but a few, like MoMA make you pay the full amount. Personally I believe museums should be free especially for families bringing kids. Culture should not be just for the rich. But I do believe in supporting the arts which our government does so in the most meager fashion. Even that is in jeopardy. What are past civilizations most remembered for? The art they left behind.

Personally I belong to 9 museums in the city. It supports the museum, becomes a tax deduction and what's nice is sometimes I just want a short visit or to look at one piece of art for a while. Sometimes I just need a convenient place to pee lol.

Recently I rejoined the American Museum of Natural History. It's a place I always loved as a kid and kids still love it today. Unfortunately what annoys me is that they charge extra for special exhibits and things like the IMAX theater and the sky show at the planetarium. But most annoying of all was the $2 charge to check your coat. No other museum does that as far as I know. I keep meaning to write them a letter of complaint about that. But you can pay what you want at the admission desk.

However I love museums of all kinds and it restores my faith in humanity that every culture and civilization has been capable of creating wonderful things.

Personally I believe museums should be free especially for families bringing kids. Culture should not be just for the rich. But I do believe in supporting the arts which our government does so in the most meager fashion. Even that is in jeopardy.

I know, it's a balancing act. Here in DC the Smithsonian Museums are all free but whenever I took the boys to other cities I wanted to let them experience the museums there, too. The Met became a favorite, in part because I could afford it! Of course, there came a point when the boys were mortified I wasn't paying the full amount, but they got past that when they realized how much it would cost for all of us to pay the suggested amount. My oldest, at Fordham, has gone with friends and introduced them to the concept of "pay-what-you-can," LOL.

Some museums have free evenings or other times when there's no charge. Their websites will indicate this. If you have a Bank of America credit or debit card and a picture ID you can get free admission to many museums on the first full weekend of every month. There might be other things out there I'm not aware of. I have an alumni card from my college that gets me some free Museum admissions. I used to be able to get two or three guests in at the same time but that's been cut back to one admission. One nice improvement with museums in general is that the restaurants have improved so much. The Whitney, Met Breuer, MoMA and MAD Museum all have fine dining. Feed the stomach along with the soul.

Some museums have free evenings or other times when there's no charge. Their websites will indicate this. If you have a Bank of America credit or debit card and a picture ID you can get free admission to many museums on the first full weekend of every month. There might be other things out there I'm not aware of. I have an alumni card from my college that gets me some free Museum admissions. I used to be able to get two or three guests in at the same time but that's been cut back to one admission. One nice improvement with museums in general is that the restaurants have improved so much. The Whitney, Met Breuer, MoMA and MAD Museum all have fine dining. Feed the stomach along with the soul.

TheBank of America or Merrill Lynch "Museums on Us" program is valid at176 museums nationwide that participate including The Cloisters, Met 5th Ave, Met Breuer, and the American Museum of Natural History in NYC, at the Art Intitute of Chicago, and at The Boston Museum of Fine Arts, and the Gardner. On the first full weekend of every month just present your card and ID and in you go no charge.

Interesting & informative thread. I was at the Cloisters today. So much to see & appreciate. Special exhibit on Small Wonders: Gothic Boxwood Miniatures. It was amazing. Ate at the New Leaf on the Cloister grounds. Great day in NYC to be outdoors.

The New Leaf Restaurant sounds very interesting.

In season, when the weather is nice, they also have a cafe in one of the cloisters. Sandwiches, salads, desserts, drinks. It is very convenient and pleasant. You can rest your feet as well as have lunch, or just stop by for a drink and a bit of dessert.

Also in season, I believe, (they certainly did for many years), there is a free concert on Tuesday afternoons in one of the cloisters. A small group of musicians, usually, plays for an hour or so. The acoustics are wonderful and the experience delightful. I have heard guitars, lutes, recorders, and some unusual percussion instruments. There are also more formal concerts of medieval music in the chapel, but there is separate admission tickets for those.

Archived