THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

The Lunts

actor61
This topic is 2809 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I think I've probably read every biography ever printed about Alfred Lunt and Lynn Fontanne; I just find them fascinating. They retired from Broadway in 1958 and I'm too young to have seem them live onstage - as the saying goes - but I have been able to see videos of their television performances, such as The Magnificent Yankee, and The Old Lady Shows her Medals, and the magic, even in their later years, is quite evident.

Their estate in Genessee Depot, Wisconsin, Ten Chimneys, has been restored and is a national landmark. I have retired to Chicago, which is not too far from there, and would very much like to visit Ten Chimneys next spring (they are open from May to December). If any of you fellow theatre lovers on this forum have visited it, I'd love to hear your thoughts and descriptions. I had a 40 year career in the theatre and am a theatre history fanatic, so seeing where the Lunts lived, rehearsed, entertained and spent the last years of their lives will be somewhat of a pilgrimage for an old thespian such as I. Some want to see the Mona Lisa, I want to see the Lunts' house!

Archived