THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

The organ

AdamSmith
This topic is 2637 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Since we are in the realm of tenor deaths Donizetti dispatches poor Edgardo in Lucia di Lammermoor in a mere two minutes! Something quite efficient for the world of opera! I would have posted Jonas Kaufmann singing the part... anything to give @TruHart1 a thrill up his leg ;) ... but he seems never to have to have attempted it. Given in a traditional staging from 1982 in the 1964 production from the MET with a 55 year old Alfredo Kraus as Edgardo.

• Replies 791
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Egads again! Mention of Werther seems to have become the Beetlejuice of this thread! :eek:

http://68.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m1ca7kSJMZ1rn1ydzo1_500.gif

hqdefault.jpg

:p

I am willing to forgive simply because Werther inspired the following aria...

Almost as good as...

And for some marvelous reason, YouTube turns this up as a related clip!

Funny but last week here in FL someone told me that I had an accent and that I was from parts unknown. Well being from Southern CT I guess I do have some sort of accent, but I really don't hear it! Now one neighbor here is from Cape Cod and has a definite Massachusetts accent. As in shock = shark. Another couple is from Southern Indiana and almost sound as though they are from the even deeper South.

Ironically a couple of years ago a video that featured my voice was posted here and I got a message from a fellow poster saying that my "accent" reminded him of his time back east.

Indeed I took an internet test a while back that said that said that I was CT grown. HMMM! In any event, consider the following...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jO7qqVvwI1E

And the thing that you put your groceries in is definitely a "carriage"!

To change the subject! o_O

(Or, perhaps, not! :p )

The Geography of the House

W.H. Auden

https://m.poemhunter.com/poem/the-geography-of-the-house/

That's poetry... pace Herr Schiller, Herr Goethe, et. al.

Now it's my turn... :eek::D:p

ROTHFLMMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Egads again! Mention of Werther seems to have become the Beetlejuice of this thread! :eek:

http://68.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m1ca7kSJMZ1rn1ydzo1_500.gif

hqdefault.jpg

:p

...and because I may not have another chance to be on topic (or talk about Beetlejuice) here, an incandescent moment from the Paris production of Werther in 2010 with Herr Kaufmann and Madame Koch:

TruHart1 :cool:

P.S. One can never get enough of... ;)

In DC during WWII there was a saying...

If you have a job that absolutely must get done, give it to a Yale man. :cool:

The Harvard johns got the abstract theoretical positions in and around gummint at the time.

But when a sleek panther of the night was needed to actually Get Things Done :eek: it was usually an Eli.

Often, though by no means every time, a Bonesman. o_O

http://img.timeinc.net/time/daily/2009/0902/360_skull_bone_alt_0220.jpg

And neither Yalies nor Harvard types have ever been able to figure out just quite what Princetonians are there for! :D

Except for knowing which spoon to use! A vital life skill after all! :p

465px-Colonial_Eating_Club_Pton.JPG

The Harvard johns got the abstract theoretical positions in and around gummint at the time.

But when a sleek panther of the night was needed to actually Get Things Done :eek: it was usually an Eli.

And neither Yalies nor Harvard types have ever been able to figure out just quite what Princetonians are there for! :D

Creepy! Of course there's much in New Haven that is much scarier! :eek:

Bones_logo.jpg

Is it true that sarcophagi line the walls?

Makes me grateful to be merely "potted ivy"!

Well better than the poison variety...

Now you sound like this guy!

LMAO!

Has often seemed the wisest recourse! :D

Come to think, a female former member (that didn't come out quite right :p ) published a tell-all book a few years back. Can't find it right now but will keep looking.

Never read it, just the reviews. Seemed quite interesting!

LMAO!

Has often seemed the wisest recourse! :D

Actually not entirely a joke.

In my professional field I have gotten considerable street cred for being the only one among my colleagues happy to admit, when warranted:

"I don't know."

Indeed. But that building, the processional hymn, that ain't no chapel.

They used the word 'chapel' in much the way that the rich who built mansions along the Connecticut shore styled them cottages. :eek:

This for instance is the late great Katherine Hepburne's 'cottage' in Old Saybrook, CT...

Katharine-Hepburns-home2-258933.jpg

...yours today for a modest $14.8 million!

https://www.zillow.com/blog/katharine-hepburn-estate-176656/

And aha! Zut alors!

F-Scott-Fitzgeralds-home3-0ca234.jpg

F. Scott Fitzgerald's Party House Lists for $3.9M

His and Zelda's raucous nights here spurred the writing of half-facetious house rules.

If F. Scott Fitzgerald was right that we’re “borne back ceaselessly into the past,” then it’s fortunate when there are photographs to go with those backward glances.

And there are photos to accompany the $3,888,888 listing of the Long Island estate where Fitzgerald began writing “The Great Gatsby,” as first reported by The Wall Street Journal.

He and his wife, Zelda, rented the now-remodeled 7-bedroom, 6.5-bath home for two years in the early 1920s.

Zelda called it “our nifty little Babbit-home at Great Neck,” and it became their base for parties and visits to even more luxurious homes in the vicinity, which eventually became the class-conscious West Egg and East Egg of “Gatsby.”

The Fitzgeralds’ raucous parties here spurred the writing of half-facetious house rules such as, “Visitors are requested not to break down doors in search of liquor, even when authorized to do so by the host and hostess,” according to Andrew Turnbull’s biography of Scott Fitzgerald.

Scott and Zelda left this home in Great Neck for France, where he finished “The Great Gatsby.”

https://www.zillow.com/blog/f-scott-fitzgeralds-great-neck-home-176413/

Fair points all, @AdamSmith. You can call it a beach shack or cottage and have people accept the false modesty of the description of the mansion. Likewise, you can play down the grandeur of your cathedral by calling it a chapel. But the building is a red herring, chapel defines modest, simple worship, you can't pass off high church Anglican worship as 'chapel'.

Actually not entirely a joke.

In my professional field I have gotten considerable street cred for being the only one among my colleagues happy to admit, when warranted:

"I don't know."

I know that I have mentioned this to some along the line. In college I took a course entitled Science 101. It had to deal with how the greatest minds came upon their scientific discoveries. The entire Science department (as opposed to Biology, Physics, Chrmistry, etc.) consisted of one professor and one course. If on exams you admitted that you did not know the correct answer by writing IDK you were given 1/3 credIt on that question for admitting that fact! Something that the professor thought was a good trait to have!

They used the word 'chapel' in much the way that the rich who built mansions along the Connecticut shore styled them cottages. :eek:

This for instance is the late great Katherine Hepburne's 'cottage' in Old Saybrook, CT...

Katharine-Hepburns-home2-258933.jpg

...yours today for a modest $14.8 million!

https://www.zillow.com/blog/katharine-hepburn-estate-176656/

Years ago I knew a guy who worked at an auto dealership. A representative of Ms. Hepburn came in one day to purchase a vehicle. He gave the the exact make and model that she wanted. The salesman quoted the list price. The representative said, "That's fine we have a deal." It was not only the quickest sale on record, but the first time in the history of the dealership that someone actually willingly paid the full "MRSP" price!!!

Interestingly the vehicle was a Ford Crown Victoria... she was not interested in anything more upscale. Perhaps it was for "the help" or she thought that anything more would be a waste of $$$$?!

Fair points all, @AdamSmith. You can call it a beach shack or cottage and have people accept the false modesty of the description of the mansion. Likewise, you can play down the grandeur of your cathedral by calling it a chapel. But the building is a red herring, chapel defines modest, simple worship, you can't pass off high church Anglican worship as 'chapel'.

But still the blazing immodesty had they named it Duke Cathedral. o_O

Interestingly the vehicle was a Ford Crown Victoria... she was not interested in anything more upscale. Perhaps it was for "the help" or she thought that anything more would be a waste of $$$$?!

Likely that. She was known not to throw her money around, but rather to throw it with great precision.

As in that house & estate.

I know that I have mentioned this to some along the line. In college I took a course entitled Science 101. It had to deal with how the greatest minds came upon their scientific discoveries. The entire Science department (as opposed to Biology, Physics, Chrmistry, etc.) consisted of one professor and one course. If on exams you admitted that you did not know the correct answer by writing IDK you were given 1/3 credIt on that question for admitting that fact! Something that the professor thought was a good trait to have!

And how great that the school allowed him to do that!

In the wash of political correctness and politicizing of literary study that really got rolling in the academies a couple of decades ago -- and continues, ominously to me, gathering steam to this day -- H. Bloom determined he simply had to dissociate from the English department.

And so Jale established a Sterling Chair of the Humanities for him to occupy, in splendid isolation from those he variously termed the 'rabble,' the 'lemmings,' and best of all the 'School of Resentment.' :confused:

Archived