THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

The organ

AdamSmith
This topic is 2637 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Just recalled one time in conversation where Beethoven was recorded as being aware that composing for voice did not come naturally to him.

He said that when composing for instrumental players, the thought of how difficult the music might be to perform never occurred to him.

But in composing for vocalists, he forever had to stop and ask himself, "Can they sing that?"

• Replies 791
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm sorry to be catching up in this thread. I should try to do better.

Back in the Handel interpretations, I must add Sir George Solti's recording of Messiah. It's interesting, and perhaps not so germanic as one might expect. [i admit, I adore his Mahler symphonies].

For example, in For unto us a child is born, ca. 1:21, his dynamics are ... well, sublime.

Perhaps he should be forgotten as much as Sir Malcolm Sargent, but I feel not.

That Solti Messiah is exquisite. Many thanks!

And Mahler! To my ear Solti is the dean of interpreters of those symphonies.

Still it shows how the greatest composers were able to build an entire movement on simplicity and make it sound complex while giving things a sense of coherence. Lesser composers usually produce mumbo-jumbo with too many ideas that go nowhere.

Your analysis here BTW applies with equally surgical precision to poetry.

It has to do I think with coming up with one idea that actually bears investigating. As versus a scatter of what look like thoughts but are not even.

One of my favorite Beethoven moments. That last movement is built on just a couple of motives... and Beethoven is able to produce a whirlwind of sound. Still it shows how the greatest composers were able to build an entire movement on simplicity and make it sound complex while giving things a sense of coherence. Lesser composers usually produce mumbo-jumbo with too many ideas that go nowhere.

Ludwig does the same in the symphony's second movement with a similar if even more powerful effect. Talk sbout so little material (some simple repetitions on the same note!) achieving so much!

Occurs that his Third, posted above in Ansermet's performance, is another great example of same principle.

In fact, far as I can tell, the place where he first got it clear in mind.

LOL! Of course I got that as a Christmas present when I was all of 12. It shaped what I considered the Ninth to be seemingly forever. Of course I had no clue about the pitch and I read about it years later as London Records wanted to get the whole thing on one LP. To achieve that the third movement was split over two sides and as I recall it was not even at the most opportune time either. Plus I doubt that the turntable that my dad had purchased at Radio Shack was even spinning at the correct 33 1/3 revolutions per minute. So I was probably listening in E-flat minor which with six flats ain't exactly the most common key.

In any event, compared to the overly inflated interpretations by many conductors who specialized in the German repertory at the time Ansermet was actually closer to many of the present day HIPster conductors. Just listen to the final movement's Turkish March tenor solo and the final minute of the performance and one finds a certain lightness that is foreign to conductors of the German school... no this ain't Wihelm or Herbert at the podium!

Also, this was the first time that I heard the voice of Joan Sutherland, who for all of her flaws became one of my favorite singers. It was the first recording that I owned that featured operatic voices. Still even at the age of twelve I realized that Beethoven really did not totally understand the human voice be it for soloists or chorus... and that troubled me.

When I finally discovered the operatic Mozart and the Bel Canto composers who really understood and knew how to write for the voice things fell into place and the rest was history. That would not happen until the ripe old age of 14-15 or so.

Heck I knew I liked flogging well before that... like when I was still in the single digits.

Just sampled some more of that Ansermet 9th.

What I kept thinking...

7eeae130a98b7372363da8f5d5681042.jpg

Clumsy performance. I just liked the instrument.

Although is legato appropriate for Bach?

Not so much "legato" as, perhaps, a "ligature" [think Calligraphy] between the notes. If one is in a particularly resonant space, there does need to be some space between note attacks and releases, lest the sound become muddy; but, in less forgiving spaces, such space begins to sound slightly staccato.

That was my objection. I had an organist friend and godfather who played unlike anyone else I've ever met. His Widor was enough to make me cry. His performances breathed and sang. He understood phrasing like few others of any instrument, especially [in My Humble Opinion] The Voice. He died of lymphoma, and we buried him on my 45th birthday. Excuse me while I go cry.

Just sampled some more of that Ansermet 9th.

What I kept thinking...

7eeae130a98b7372363da8f5d5681042.jpg

and the guy at bestbuy.com was trying to convince me to drop $5000 for a cd player; preamp; amp; and wires. I did see a review for a turntable, tonearm, and cartridge that was going to run >$8,000 when all was said and done. Thank goodness for millenials; when they tire of their toys, more for the rest of us.

The source: http://www.whathifi.com/features/10-worlds-most-expensive-turntables

I have to post one last one:

AV Designhaus Derenville VPM 2010-1 - £460,000

http://images.cdn.whathifi.com/sites/whathifi.com/files/styles/big-image/public/brands/news/2016-apr/derenvill-vpm2010-1.jpg?itok=17kgSmgA

We think the Derenville VPM 2010-1 might just be the most expensive turntable ever made. You’d expect a great deal of technology in something costing the best part of half a million pounds, and you’d be right.

The VPM 2010-1 has two frequency controlled motors on the belt, a solid 60kg Corian chassis standing on four air suspension feet, laser toe angle measurement and an integrated digital scale. There's an HD camera and screen for checking everything is running smoothly, plus a touch screen remote control. Don't all rush at once...

Read more at http://www.whathifi.com/features/10-worlds-most-expensive-turntables#m5g0ssz5OfoFhZAk.99

Yousa! I performed the Ninth with Steinberg the following year ... unless we did it VERY early in Tanglewood Festival Chorus's second season. I know we did it with him at Tanglewood.

Memorable moment: During the fugue, he stopped conducting for about sixteen bars. Just leaned back and listened to it. Fascinating. Scary as all hell, too! I was 20 at the time.

I would love to hear your recollections of the experience of rehearsing and performing under him.

He seems a magician at knowing exactly how much information each orchestra section needs at each moment, and not distracting them with an iota more.

The source: http://www.whathifi.com/features/10-worlds-most-expensive-turntables

http://images.cdn.whathifi.com/sites/whathifi.com/files/styles/big-image/public/brands/news/2016-apr/derenvill-vpm2010-1.jpg?itok=17kgSmgA

We think the Derenville VPM 2010-1 might just be the most expensive turntable ever made. You’d expect a great deal of technology in something costing the best part of half a million pounds, and you’d be right.

The VPM 2010-1 has two frequency controlled motors on the belt, a solid 60kg Corian chassis standing on four air suspension feet, laser toe angle measurement and an integrated digital scale. There's an HD camera and screen for checking everything is running smoothly, plus a touch screen remote control. Don't all rush at once...

Read more at http://www.whathifi.com/features/10-worlds-most-expensive-turntables#m5g0ssz5OfoFhZAk.99

On reflection, only national security needs would seem to justify such investment.

and the guy at bestbuy.com was trying to convince me to drop $5000 for a cd player; preamp; amp; and wires. I did see a review for a turntable, tonearm, and cartridge that was going to run >$8,000 when all was said and done. Thank goodness for millenials; when they tire of their toys, more for the rest of us.

One does not go to Best Buy to build a musical sounding stereo System :eek: ... but I think you knew that!

Nor would I suggest going to a Hi End Specialty Shop where the golden eared genius would try to sell you this! There is only so much one can hear!! Plus, there is the law of diminishing returns! And this from someone who can hear the difference between various components and even wires... or at least I used to be able to do so! It is possible to put together a very "classical music friendly" system on a budget. I did so when I decided to put in a second system and it sounds better in many respects than my (albeit old) big bertha rig. I duplicated it for the southern command post and I am extremely happy with it. Of course there's no turntable!

Here's the TechDAS Air Force One at £75,000:

http://images.cdn.whathifi.com/sites/whathifi.com/files/styles/big-image/public/brands/news/2015-apr/techdas_airforceone.jpg?itok=t00fAO8c

Actually that looks like the control panel for one of the later Doctor's TARDIS.

Memorable moment: During the fugue, he stopped conducting for about sixteen bars. Just leaned back and listened to it. Fascinating. Scary as all hell, too! I was 20 at the time.

I can imagine the fright. Still, the fugue, once it gets going, does sort of operate itself for awhile.

I trust he jumped back in, in the nick of time.

Archived