THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

update on Montreal ATMs

newatthis
This topic is 2589 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Just returned from my final summer trip to Montreal this season and can provide a little more nuance to what I posted earlier about TD Bank's ATMs.

I tried 3 different TD ATM's on this trip. At Square Victoria, I was allowed to withdraw $600 (so we now know that the TD limit is at least that); it was dispensed entirely in 20's. In the Village kitty-corner from Campus, I withdrew $500, again dispensed entirely in 20's. A few days later, a friend of mine withdrew $500 from that same machine and received a mixture of 50's and 20's. Later in the week each of us withdrew $500 from the machine on de Bleury and received a mixture of 50's and 20's. None of the machines gave us any options.

The front desk clerk at my hotel told me that she has not been able to discern any pattern as to which banks will dispense 50's and when they will dispense them, except that she's never received 50's from Caisses Desjardins.

PS This has been the best summer in the strip clubs, IMO, since the halcyon days of the mid-oughts.

I usually use RBC. They seem to have ATM's close to anywhere I am for some reason (including two ATM machines upon exiting customs at YUL). The withdrawal limit is $400 per transaction. I take out $400 at a time and the ATM's (irrespective of location) always dispense the same combination of bills: 6 x $50 and 5 x $20.

BTW, there is an RBC ATM inside the convenience store that is located on the block between Stock Bar and the Beaudry Metro Station. Very convenient and safe spot in the village.

Part of the reason for a lack of predictability of what a machine will dispense is it will depend on how much of each denomination is present and if the machine also recycles currency customers deposit to it. If the withdrawal is made relatively soon after being restocked, a standard mix of denominations is likely.

• 1 year later...
Just returned from my final summer trip to Montreal this season and can provide a little more nuance to what I posted earlier about TD Bank's ATMs.

I tried 3 different TD ATM's on this trip. At Square Victoria, I was allowed to withdraw $600 (so we now know that the TD limit is at least that); it was dispensed entirely in 20's. In the Village kitty-corner from Campus, I withdrew $500, again dispensed entirely in 20's. A few days later, a friend of mine withdrew $500 from that same machine and received a mixture of 50's and 20's. Later in the week each of us withdrew $500 from the machine on de Bleury and received a mixture of 50's and 20's. None of the machines gave us any options....

Further ATM update at the end of my 2017 summer season. TD Bank's in-bank ATMs at 2 different locations let me withdraw $700, which was dispensed as 10 x $20 plus 10 x $50. My working hypothesis for TD Bank is that you can withdraw up to the limit your own bank imposes and it will be dispensed as $200 in 20's and the rest in 50's. I very much look forward to further experiments. :)

This has simplified my life in Montreal. I only had to make 2 ATM visits this last trip; in the past, I often ended up making 4 or even 5.

Further ATM update at the end of my 2017 summer season. TD Bank's in-bank ATMs at 2 different locations let me withdraw $700, which was dispensed as 10 x $20 plus 10 x $50. My working hypothesis for TD Bank is that you can withdraw up to the limit your own bank imposes and it will be dispensed as $200 in 20's and the rest in 50's. I very much look forward to further experiments. :)

This has simplified my life in Montreal. I only had to make 2 ATM visits this last trip; in the past, I often ended up making 4 or even 5.

How much extra did you have to pay for the withdrawal?

Archived