THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

3-year-old plays classical piano

AdamSmith
This topic is 2958 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

She even has the page turning aspect of playing down to a science. For the record that was the first movement of Muzio Clementi's Sonatina Opus 36 no. 6. I just pulled the music out and played it. I think she did a better job, and especially regarding the page turn! ;) For the record I was probably 13 before I could play something like that! Just a few years behind schedule.

Regarding intimidating child prodigies, Clementi looks to have been one himself.

At the age of seven Clementi began studies in figured bass with the organist Cordicelli, followed by voice lessons from Giuseppe Santarelli. A few years later, probably when he was 11 or 12, he was given counterpoint lessons by Gaetano Carpani. By the age of 13 Clementi had already composed an oratorio, Martirio de’ gloriosi santi Giuliano e Celso, and a mass. When he was 14, in January 1766, he became organist of the parish church of San Lorenzo in Dámaso. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muzio_Clementi

Camille Saint-Saens, made his public debut at the Salle Pleyel in Paris at the age of 10. He played the Mozart Piano Concerto No. 15, and the Beethoven Piano Concerto No. 3, along with solo works by Handel and Bach. At the close of the concert he announced that he would play as an encore, any of the Beethoven piano sonatas from memory, as suggested by the audience.

For @AdamSmith since be is interested in the organ, I recall reading many years ago an account of the first time that the child Mozart played the organ. While the keyboard would be the same as a harpsichord or fortepiano, the pedals even though similarly arranged would seem to be a challenge. However, from what I recall the kid (who probably could barely reach the pedals) figured things out immediately to the astonishment of those present.

My piano teacher had a Hammond organ in her studio. Let's just say that I learned only one piece on the organ and it was a Bach prelude that had the simplest pedal part in the whole collection. I was in high school at the time and again probably at least a decade plus behind schedule.

Archived