THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

New Mary Martin Biography

WilliamM
This topic is 2900 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

"Some Enchanted Evenings" published on Tuesday.

Her husband's sexuality is discussion often, Mary's less, but you understand the references.

Janet Gaynor's last husband greatly disliked Martin and he's blunt about why.

Two take aways: Nobody ever accused her of walking through a performance, especially in "South Pacific," "Peter Pan," or "The Sound of Music." Mary will always be remembered most for her two live (and one taped) TV broadcasts of "Peter Pan."

It's somewhat well known that she left the non-show business details of her life to others. There's a very long list of "babysitters." from her mother to Richard Halliday (her 2nd husband) to Larry and Maj Hagman to Ben Washer to Susan Grushkin and a dozen other people.

Grushkin carried her ashes from LAX to Texas for burial. The airline gave Grushkin a first class seat, "because Mary Martin should not be traveling in coach."

The photos are very good. But, it's too long and the focus on the Martin-Halladay marriage, while appropriate, is tiresome. Yet, it will likely be the definitive book about Mary Martin, who richly deserved a book like this. I did see Mary Martin in person five times, and came to the conclusion she was more far more complicated than her public image.

Finally, Paul Gregory's negative observations are very interesting. Apparently, he warned Janet Gaynor about Martin many time. Gregory, Gaynor's husband, would not let Martin attend Gaynor's funeral. Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars.

July 15: As I read more, I raised the rating to 4.5.

• 2 weeks later...

Soon after Larry Hagman died, his daughter found a long -ago letter from his mother -- Mary Martin:

I believe we think differently about life, God, forgiveness and probably always will. But in my heart or soul --- whatever you wish to call it --

I cannot live with myself without saying -- "I forgive Larry."

"You are not my mother and you never were." The thing I must deal with is that what you spoke is the truth and the truth hurts. I must admit

the decisions I made all those years ago were the wrong decisions as far as they concerned you. I did not fight to keep you, my son.

And now I come face to face with the fact that you have lived -- lo these many years -- with a hurt, with the sense that you were an unwanted

boy. I ask for your forgiveness. Until now I have never know what it means when they say, forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who

trespass against us.

Even if I was not your mother and just a friend -- and so help you darling one -- I am both --I love you.

Your mom

Not everyone may know, the Mary was only 17-years old when Larry was born. Her second husband, Richard Halliday, was Mary's manager and best friend. Larry was not the only person who disliked Halliday. Even Mary and Richard's daughter, Heller, spoke that her parents were so close than neither Larry and she were allowed in (think the Reagan marriage).

I never met Mary Martin. However, during the Los Angeles Olympic Arts Festival in 1984 I went to a performance of Le Theatre du Soleil which had come from France with a much lauded group of Shakespeare plays (performed in French). The first play was Twelfth Night. It was being performed in a converted sound stage and was "festival seating". We got there early and scored seats in the first row. The audience began arriving and it was filling up. I saw a little lady with a cane, and a neck brace in a beautiful red jacket and matching hat searching for a place to sit. I told my friend to scoot over and motioned for her to come to us. She expressed her Thanks for our making a place for her, and how excited she was to be here. I looked at her closely, and said "You're Janet Gaynor" she smiled and said she was surprised that I recognized her, she said no one recognized her anymore. I said, you are the actress who received the first Best Actress Academy Award, the star of the original A Star Is Born. Besides your hat and jacket gave you away, they're by Adrian aren't they. She laughed and said they were. The performance ended and we said good night. In September ( less than 3 months later) I read in the L.A. Times that she had died

Archived