THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

"Mano a Mano" Cuba’s first (openly) gay men’s chorus.

marylander1940
This topic is 3023 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Meet Mano A Mano, Cuba’s First And Only Gay Male Chorus

http://img.huffingtonpost.com/asset/scalefit_630_noupscalescalefit_630_noupscalescalefit_630_noupscalescalefit_630_noupscale/57711f1f1a00002800ceb341.jpeg

Mano a Mano

Mano a Mano is Cuba’s first and only official gay men’s chorus. It was founded two years ago by Cuban-born filmmaker Fermin Rojas and his husband, Jay Kubesch.

“The idea was a result of a documentary that I worked on in Cuba about visual artists living and working there,” Rojas explained to The Huffington Post. “One of the artists I interviewed said, ‘All I can leave behind is a record of what I’ve done for my country.’ That moved me to the point where I thought, I have to do something.”

Although Rojas currently lives in Florida, Cuba has always remained very close to his heart. “I’m Cuban,” he continued. “And Cubans have this great longing for their country — a weird, innate, genetic love of Cuba.” Also, having sung with gay men’s choruses for 12 years, Rojas is well aware of the influence choral movements have in advocating for and advancing the LGBTQ community.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/meet-mano-a-mano-cubas-first-and-only-gay-male-chorus_us_576d711ce4b017b379f5d72a

Yesterday I read on my Facebook page that this gay chorus of five will be collaborating in concert with the Los Angeles Gay Men's chorus in America. I applaud this cultural connection!

Also, as an aside, if any of you do visit Habana, Cuba, do take in the Fabrica de Arte Cuba. It's a cultural center that been renovated and rehabbed and is quite fantastic in what it offers.

In March of 2015, I took a too short People-to-People trip with www.cubaexplorer.com, an agency based in Canada. There were no more than 13 or 14 of us Americans, and the cost was

far less than what the companies in this country charge. Our superior Cubana guide allowed us to veer from the established itinerary a bit, so I did three or four things on my very, very

own. My going to this cultural center was one of my independently chosen activities. I took in the exhibits but did not await for the musical activites, and, unfortunately, I missed out in dining at its purported fabulous restaurant as well.

Right now I plan to return to Cuba in February/March of 2017 and spend 20+ days, the preceding days with a small group and possibly another weekand/or week and a half on my own in the capital city of the largest of the Caribbean islands.

Archived