THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Tentative Travel Plans for San Francisco

This topic is 3127 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Hey guys! I will post in the travel section when I nail down specify plans for my trip to San Fran, but in the meantime I wanted to know how the city treats other guys out there? This will be my first time visiting the city and I wanted to know what I should expect or if anybody has any recommendations for things to do while I am out there?

have not lived in the area since very early childhood (late 1960s) and only occasionally visit, so not an expert, but the history and geography nerd in me requires a reply....

to be blunt, avoid Fisherman's Wharf and the nearby Ghirardelli Square....both are sickeningly touristy and not authentic anymore....G Square was converted to a routine shopping mall from the chocolate factory back in the 60s/70s.....

take the bus out to the Golden Gate Bridge (check for the correct bus) and walk the bridge over to Marin and back...walking the bridge is one of the world's great views, I feel, and something all should do before dying....also, walk Crissy Field just east of the bridge along the shore for another view of the bay and for good people-watching ;).....

since you've never been to SF before, I think a good half-day, narrated city tour would be very important to do.....then go back to places you want to spend more time at.....lots and lots of great little neighborhoods, businesses, views, history, buildings....one of the world's great cities and a spectacular setting

Let me know where you are staying and I will let you know where to eat and visit. If you like museums you should definitely go to the De Young, and while there, you might as well check out the Academy of Science which is right next to it. They are both in Golden Gate Park which is worth walking or biking around. If the weather is warm, go to Baker Beach and lay out naked, it's allowed, though you'll need to go up and over the rocks to Marshall Beach if you want to get playful with someone. I second the suggestion of getting a go-car. I've never done it but it looks like a lot of fun. Enjoy your time here and I hope the guys treat you well.

If you get into mechanical/engineering stuff, the Cable Car Museum, 1201 Mason St., is neat. http://www.cablecarmuseum.org/index.html

In particular it contains the powerhouse that drives the current cable-car system. You can see the engines and the enormous "sheaves" operating as they drive the cables.

http://www.cablecarmuseum.org/images/design/spacer.gif

http://www.cablecarmuseum.org/Historic-Powerhouse2.jpg

THE POWERHOUSE

Each of the different cable car lines once had its own powerhouse —or sometimes several—to drive the cable used on the line. The first power sources were steam engines powered by enormous amounts of coal each day, thus each powerhouse was equipped with boilers to heat the water needed to produce steam. During the decade after the 1906 quake, steam power was replaced by electricity. Before the 1982 restoration, a single 750 horsepower electric motor drove all the three remaining cable lines, with another identical motor for backup.

http://www.cablecarmuseum.org/motor.jpg

After restoration, four 510 horsepower engines were installed, one for each cable with its own separate gearbox. A set of six 14-foot diameter sheaves is driven by the motors, around which the cable runs in a figure-eight pattern to reduce slippage. Tension sheaves keep a constant tension on the cable and takes up slack produced by wear, car load and stoppage of cars on the line.

From the tension sheave the cable moves back under the power sheaves into an enclosed channel through which it passes out of the powerhouse and under the street to the tracks.

http://www.cablecarmuseum.org/SheaveRmMap.jpg

http://www.cablecarmuseum.org/the-powerhouse.html

If you're a "foodie" eating out is awesome in SFO. My favorite place is the Stinking Rose. Everything is lathered in garlic. Don't know why nobody wants to kiss me after eating there though.

They are all vampires? o_O

Let me know where you are staying and I will let you know where to eat and visit. If you like museums you should definitely go to the De Young, and while there, you might as well check out the Academy of Science which is right next to it. They are both in Golden Gate Park which is worth walking or biking around. If the weather is warm, go to Baker Beach and lay out naked, it's allowed, though you'll need to go up and over the rocks to Marshall Beach if you want to get playful with someone. I second the suggestion of getting a go-car. I've never done it but it looks like a lot of fun. Enjoy your time here and I hope the guys treat you well.

Lance is a total doll! Who would not want to take him up on such a generous offer!?

By the way, on the go-car, the cars have a navigation system and a recorded tour that you can mute or listen to for sights. It is a great way to get a view of the city without the obnoxious tour Guide or other tourists. Plus people will wave, children will point, and you can check out guys crotches at eye level. ;) Bring a light jacket bc of the microclimates. If it is a sunny day, put on sunscreen. Also the go-car doesn't go on reverse, you have to push it out of wherever you park, but it is really light weight.

I went to the Muir Woods recently where the redwoods are. Stunningly beautiful. When I win the powerball I'm moving to Marin County. Well, at least one of my homes will be there. The other three.......let's see........a flat in London, a log cabin or some such in Jackson Hole, and something on the beach south of Key West.

I've visited and echo the suggestions of Golden Gate park, the museums, Muir woods, and walking the bridge. I took a Segway tour of the warf and some sights that was hugely fun. My favorite place to eat is Wayfare Tavern by Tyler Florence in the financial district. Best friend chicken EVER!

If you visit between april 17th and October 2nd, there are old fashioned band concerts

in the music concourse of golden gate park on sundays at 1pm.

The concerts have been presented since 1883. Can't say that's unique to San Francisco;

but the season in Grant Park, Chicago, and Oakland Ca, are only about 5 weeks long.

The Goldman band in NYC went under about 10 years ago.

Archived