THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

I'm Latino, I'm Hispanic...know the difference?

Truereview
This topic is 3137 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
These definitions are controversial, and usually a concern only for those of us living in America. We do not have these identities in our countries, our national identities are more important than ethnicity, with the exception of the descendants of the native South American cultures, "los pueblos originarios".

That matches my understanding too. The idea of someone being Latino or Hispanic is really only a 'thing' in the USA (maybe to some extent Canada, I don't know). I know the words from their US connotations but wouldn't use them in Australia. If there were ever a need to describe someone, we'd be more likely to use their actual nationality or say South American. Many, if not most Argentines, Chileans, Uruguayans and Brazilians would generally be seen as Caucasian here.

While a Spaniard fits the US definition of Hispanic, I suspect they would insist that they were Spanish not Hispanic. I would also not include much of the Caribbean in Latin America as most are English, French or Dutch speaking countries.

I was taught that Latino was Mexico south and Hispanic were the island nations. To me we are all similar, simiar food staples, similar language and similar fucked up history. I have half jokenly called coworkers and friends who are from central and south america my cousins. At first they're confused cause I'm not Brazilian, Peruvian, or from Panama. After I explain the above and how our cultures share a lot of similar stuff they get it. Then we hug and chow down.

Hugs,

Greg

A friend of mine shared this work by Terry Blas, an illustrator. Being that I'm Latino and Hispanic, this made a ton of sense to me. What do others think?

http://www.vox.com/2015/8/19/9173457/hispanic-latino-comic

Guess what?!

Siiii, yo hablo espanola muy bien. faygo wepa!

Still a beginner, its a very tough language, here I am almost a year and half later trying to still master it. Slowly but surly. French is next if I can ever get Spanish knocked off the list completely. I fail with out of normal conversations. numbers I haven't used a lot. I cant roll my "R's" at all, so, yo muy gringo!!!

Guess what?!

Still a beginner, its a very tough language, here I am almost a year and half later trying to still master it. Slowly but surly. French is next if I can ever get Spanish knocked off the list completely. I fail with out of normal conversations. numbers I haven't used a lot. I cant roll my "R's" at all, so, yo muy gringo!!!

Youtube Castilian Spanish and try to master that!

Hugs,

Greg

Lol! Try rolling your "Rs" while you have your mouth full. I could help you practice, Papito....

Deal see you when I'm in LA :)

No take backs. haha. only teasing-- meh kinda.

When I try to roll my R's it sounds like L's

You guys are addicting today, I have 23 minutes to pack my laptop and get dressed (butt ass naked in front of the window) and get the hell outta dodge before they charge me extra, LOVE CROWN PLAZA AND THEIR LATE CHECK OUTS, sad I'm leaving, but I'll come back here tomorrow. Just wanted a little change-- huge event here tonight. Me and mobs of people while im trying to work-- we dont get along! They scare they clients away from coming up the elevators.

Well, yeah, pick any dialect other than what you learned and it'll be a challenge. Many years ago I was fluent while touring in northern and central Mexico, but one flight later I couldn't understand a fucking word in Guatemala City and it got worse in Antigua.

Guess what?!

I'm a bit rusty so:

Muy bien, mi BK:

Cuando te veo yo quiero estar seguro de que tiene un suspensorio debajo de sus pantalones, así que puede grap el culo y jugar.

Yo soy El Funguy

Deal see you when I'm in LA :)

No take backs. haha. only teasing-- meh kinda.

When I try to roll my R's it sounds like L's

You guys are addicting today, I have 23 minutes to pack my laptop and get dressed (butt ass naked in front of the window) and get the hell outta dodge before they charge me extra, LOVE CROWN PLAZA AND THEIR LATE CHECK OUTS, sad I'm leaving, but I'll come back here tomorrow. Just wanted a little change-- huge event here tonight. Me and mobs of people while im trying to work-- we dont get along! They scare they clients away from coming up the elevators.

That's interesting. I would have thought bigger crowd, more anonymity.

Gman

Well, yeah, pick any dialect other than what you learned and it'll be a challenge. Many years ago I was fluent while touring in northern and central Mexico, but one flight later I couldn't understand a fucking word in Guatemala City and it got worse in Antigua.

A friend of mine from San Luis Potosí used to complain about a mutual acquaintance from Puerto Rico.

Gman

A couple of things resonated for me:

1) The cartoonist's mother correcting him when he stated he is Mexican. My parents corrected me when I would state I was German and Polish. I am of German and Polish descent. Likewise, the cartoonist is of Mexican descent.

2) The arbitrary nature of the labels people use to describe one another.

3) I wonder how many descendents of native people would want to be labeled "Latino" if they thought about the origin of that label. Its origin refers to the prevalence of Romance languages in that part of the world. My guess is that Romance languages were not prevalent until European explorers made contact.

Hugs,

Greg

my Spanish teacher in HS was Castilian Spanish . She made fun of all the "Mexicans" and told them to stop speaking gutter Spanish. That did not go over very well. Oddly.. non of the so called Spanish speakers in the class seemed to do very well.. guess its harder to break habits.

Archived