THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Safe vs. Ask Me?

Scooter
This topic is 3057 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

'Safer sex' means 'I take precautions' not 'I take the precautions you accept as being valid'. Some people clearly think sex without condoms does not qualify. It would be equally valid to say that sex without PrEP is not 'safer'. With this ambiguity 'Ask' is probably the best starting point.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
'Safer sex' means 'I take precautions' not 'I take the precautions you accept as being valid'. Some people clearly think sex without condoms does not qualify. It would be equally valid to say that sex without PrEP is not 'safer'. With this ambiguity 'Ask' is probably the best starting point.

Thank you darlin, that's exactly how I feel and I like how you've said it. I put "ask me" in my ad, because it's not a "black and white" issue, but rather a conversation that I have with each client. I would like to see people start using the term "condomless" rather than "unprotected", since even when I am going condomless there are still protective measures taken.

Thank you darlin, that's exactly how I feel and I like how you've said it.

No, thank you! My opinions on such issues are theoretical, I am grateful when men who have skin in the issue agree. They (and you in this case, Lance) know, and tell me, when I am making sense and when I am not. Mwahh!

Studies show that PrEP alone is more effective than condoms alone, when used properly. PrEP does not require condoms to be 99% effective - all you need to do is swallow a pill on a daily basis. Condoms require proper application and the avoidance of holes/tears to be 96% effective. Condoms alone are less effective at preventing HIV infection than PrEP alone - that's what the science says, over and over. I understand your concerns, and stand by your (apparent) choice to use condoms, but I think you need to make sure you have your facts straight, and then you can make the decision that is best for you.

But PrEP doesn't protect against anything but HIV transmission. If that's all one is concerned about, then you have a valid point. Condoms, however, are over 90% effective at preventing a number of viruses from being transmitted.

This argument doesn't even consider the long term impact that PrEP might have on one's body. I certainly wouldn't discourage anyone from going on PrEP if he thought it made sense for him, but from my perspective the less medication I take the better since every pill I ever take seems to have some negative side effects.

But PrEP doesn't protect against anything but HIV transmission. If that's all one is concerned about, then you have a valid point. Condoms, however, are over 90% effective at preventing a number of viruses from being transmitted.

This argument doesn't even consider the long term impact that PrEP might have on one's body. I certainly wouldn't discourage anyone from going on PrEP if he thought it made sense for him, but from my perspective the less medication I take the better since every pill I ever take seems to have some negative side effects.

I completely understand and respect your decision to not take drugs that could be damaging to your body. Going on PrEP was a decision largely made because of the business that I am in, as a way or protecting myself and of course others. I resist taking my most prescription meds unless absolutely necessary.

You are of course correct that Truvada doesn't protect against STI's, but as has been pointed out many times, you are as likely to get them with condomless oral. I've had the occasional STI in my life and they were usually as a result of blowjobs.

Sometimes I think you folks bring this topic up just to rile people up

That's pretty much the point of the thread after thread after thread......... Let a few weeks go by and someone is sure to start it up again.

I can't wait for next month's safe/unsafe thread. Maybe after the last 50 or 75 or 100 of them someone will actually have something new to say.

Archived