THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Jeremy Jordan "Over The Rainbow"

WilliamM
This topic is 3154 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• 2 weeks later...

As a gay man who came of age in the 1970s, Judy will always remain an icon, and "Over the Rainbow" belongs solely to her. In an interview 6 months before her death, she responded back to a reporter who tried to embarrass her about the fact she had lots of gay fans. She told him "everyone comes to see Judy Garland. I don't care what they say about me, they've been doing it for years, but I will be damned if they attack my fans or my children."

At that point, I realized what a treasure she was for us.

Wait a minute - The Demensions had the best recording of Over The Rainbow.

[Demensions version on Youtube]

Well, if you enjoy a complete rewrite of the Arlen & Harburg melody/harmony, turning this version into a completely different song with only the words being the same, then perhaps it is diverting to listen to. "...best recording?" I doubt it.

that was terrible

so many other singers do this song justice. he is not one of them. don't confuse pretty with capable.

OK. Simmer down and lighten up, Jim.

Yes he's pretty, but as a cabaret rendition, this performance is really quite excellent. That is just my opinion, though. Perhaps you dislike the arrangement which juxtaposes "Home" from the 1975 Broadway show, The Wiz, with the original 1939 song, but that is only one man's opinion.

TruHart1 :cool:

• 3 weeks later...
that was terrible

so many other singers do this song justice. he is not one of them. don't confuse pretty with capable.

Few people sang "Over The Rainbow" until Gatland died, unless they had to (Ella Fitzgerald in her Arlen Songbooks and 'Eddie Fisher sings Academy Award winning songs'). I am sure I am missing others who did sing the song before Judy Garland died in 1969.

To be fair, I never can quite match Jimboi's certainty about so many things.

Archived