THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Bowie

José Soplanucas
This topic is 2795 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

thank you @quoththeraven ! I actually looked at the new posts page and did not see anything. Thank you for the tip!

You're welcome. My Twitter today has mostly consisted of tweets and retweets about Bowie. I tweeted links to YouTube videos of "Rebel Rebel" and "Heroes." A Twitter friend of mine watched Labyrinth three times. Another Twitter friend paid tribute to perhaps his greatest movie, Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence. I posted links to prior posts of mine about Bowie's music on my (linked) Dreamwidth/LiveJournal blog, as did at least two friends. I had a lot of errands to take care of, but didn't get started on them until this afternoon.

Bowie's life, and thus his death, touched a lot of people. I am still bummed out, but also happy he got to share his talent with us for as long as he did.

You're welcome. My Twitter today has mostly consisted of tweets and retweets about Bowie. I tweeted links to YouTube videos of "Rebel Rebel" and "Heroes." A Twitter friend of mine watched Labyrinth three times. Another Twitter friend paid tribute to perhaps his greatest movie, Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence. I posted links to prior posts of mine about Bowie's music on my (linked) Dreamwidth/LiveJournal blog, as did at least two friends. I had a lot of errands to take care of, but didn't get started on them until this afternoon.

Bowie's life, and thus his death, touched a lot of people. I am still bummed out, but also happy he got to share his talent with us for as long as he did.

Yes, I just read your posts in the other thread and am still catching up with all those wonderful links you shared.

Yes, he did touch so many people! Cool people! :) His metamorphoses was an inspiration for many personal changes in billions.

• 1 year later...

Stamps will be issue in his honor

http://slippedisc.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/david-bowie-postage-stamps-design-music_graphics_dezeen_1704_col_5-852x768.jpg

e7bc7fc9ee5c39b6c637d4be4282abc9.jpg

http://i1.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article9690452.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/David-Bowie-stamps.jpg

http://i1.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article9690445.ece/ALTERNATES/s615/David-Bowie-stamps.jpg

david-bowie-postage-stamps-design-music_graphics_dezeen_1704_heroB.jpg

I am sorry to insult your taste if you posted that because you like it, but for me this is one of the lowest points in David Bowie's career. Just embarrassingly awful.

There is not any aesthetic achievement or intention in it from either performer.

If you don't see its obviously hilarious self-ironic point very deliberately intended by both of them, no amount of explaining would bring you along.

There is not any aesthetic achievement or intention in it from either performer.

If you don't see its obviously hilarious self-ironic point very deliberately intended by both of them, no amount of explaining would bring you along.

I don't care if they both were performing with ironic intent. It's still horrible to listen to and to watch. Then again, with very few exceptions, white rock musicians covering r&b classics always turn out wrong. The Rolling Stones' cover of The Temptations' "Ain't To Proud To Beg" is nearly as awful as this and I don't think The Stones meant that cover to be ironic.

I don't care if they both were performing with ironic intent. It's still horrible to listen to and to watch. Then again, with very few exceptions, white rock musicians covering r&b classics always turn out wrong. The Rolling Stones' cover of The Temptations' "Ain't To Proud To Beg" is nearly as awful as this and I don't think The Stones meant that cover to be ironic.

Grab a guy

Grab a girl

Anywhere

In the world

They even in word and gesture have fun with the rumor of having been found one time asleep in bed together.

Wake up your aesthesis! :cool:

How could you enjoy it if you refuse to see what makes it beautiful?

Then again, with very few exceptions, white rock musicians covering r&b classics always turn out wrong.

If you think "covering" is all the Stones did with R&B, then your understanding of their monumental achievements in fusing R&B into several other styles to help, essentially, create rock & roll -- in parallel with what the Beatles and Dylan were doing at the same time -- is nonexistent.

We all hear what we hear. I almost always prefer the original r&b records. I do like some of The Stones' records, but not their lame r&b covers. I also don't like the awful covers The Beatles did on their first first albums. One of the few early white rock'n'roll performers who was able to cover r&b well was Elvis. He took Big Mama Thornton's "Hound Dog" and made an excellent but very different record.

Archived