THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

What kind of movie inspired plays would you like to see in Broadway?

marylander1940
This topic is 3235 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think there have been terrible commercially driven adaptations of things since Broadway began, they just don't last so we forget about them. It feels like there are more awful movie adaptations because it's easy for us to get the information...and there are just more movies to adapt. At the same time there are fewer theaters and theater owners and producers are avoiding risky things.

I honestly don't care what's on Broadway as long as it's good (subjective of course) But I appreciate movies for what they are and plays for what they are, when movies aren't adapted creatively or obviously theatrical in style it just becomes a $100 TBS rerun waste of time

"All The Way" won Tony Awards for Best Play and Best Actor

"The Great Society" has not played in New York City yet, only on the west coast

The opera based on Lady Bird Johnson is a work in progress, not seen by the public yet

There are a lot of plays and actors who won Tony awards who sucked. Quite a few, sadly.

There are a lot of plays and actors who won Tony awards who sucked. Quite a few, sadly.

Here is the New York Times review of "All the Way." Although not an outright rave, the review is certainly very positive.

In addition, I read the theater message boards when "All the Way" was on Broadway, you are in the minority in believing the play sucked.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/07/theater/bryan-cranston-as-president-johnson-in-all-the-way.html

Here is the New York Times review of "All the Way." Although not an outright rave, the review is certainly very positive.

In addition, I read the theater message boards when "All the Way" was on Broadway, you are in the minority in believing the play sucked.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/07/theater/bryan-cranston-as-president-johnson-in-all-the-way.html

I have no problem in the minority. They're usually proven right.

You can look at LBJ in a different way but ... if you want to be accurate and look at it in a historical way ... LBJ was one of the sleaziest men who ever held that office. Went into office as a pauper and left it a multi-millionaire. Read some of the transcripts of the tapes sometime. Really awful stuff.

And every last one of them sucked.

Quote #1: This forum on May 4, 2014

Quote #2: This forum recently

The quote was not difficult to find. Still I would not have bothered if I was not reading a new book, "Lady Bird and Lyndon."

The White House tapes have helped Johnson's reputation across the board, with the public and at colleges and universities.. There is no doubt now about his iron-like detmination to help African-Americans escape racism in piblic accommodations, voting rights and housing.

Finally, Johnson was not a pauper when he was first elected to public office. He had some money, but his wife, Lady Bird, has much more money

I do give Miniver credit for consistency.:)

I think there is a difference between having an opinion and pontificating! Mr. M, ease up and let others have their opinions without deeming them wrong! Your opinions are, in the end, only your opinions and not the last word on all subjects under discussion.

Quote #1: This forum on May 4, 2014

Quote #2: This forum recently

The quote was not difficult to find. Still I would not have bothered if I was not reading a new book, "Lady Bird and Lyndon."

The White House tapes have helped Johnson's reputation across the board, with the public and at colleges and universities.. There is no doubt now about his iron-like detmination to help African-Americans escape racism in piblic accommodations, voting rights and housing.

Finally, Johnson was not a pauper when he was first elected to public office. He had some money, but his wife, Lady Bird, has much more money

I do give Miniver credit for consistency.:)

Read the Caro books. LBJ was poor. When he left office he was a multi-millionaire. Much of that was due to Lady Bird's fortune which he leveraged, while in office, into even more money.

Let's please not pretend that LBJ wasn't a major crook while in office. This is so well-documented that I'm surprised that some want to whitewash his history. I seriously doubt that the tapes have "helped his reputation" one bit. As Michael Beschloss has pointed out, LBJ was the one doing the taping so he made sure that he comes across in the best possible light. Even so, there are many examples on the tapes of his bullying and unpleasant personality. But to try and judge him in any way based on tapes whose content he controlled is a laughable exercise.

I think there is a difference between having an opinion and pontificating! Mr. M, ease up and let others have their opinions without deeming them wrong! Your opinions are, in the end, only your opinions and not the last word on all subjects under discussion.

Have I ever said otherwise? Have I ever said that anyone shouldn't be allowed an opinion? I do think that there are facts and truths and those should be pointed out when some present things as such when the available evidence says otherwise. Do you have a problem with that?

Let's please not pretend that LBJ wasn't a major crook while in office. This is so well-documented that I'm surprised that some want to whitewash his history. I seriously doubt that the tapes have "helped his reputation" one bit. As Michael Beschloss has pointed out, LBJ was the one doing the taping so he made sure that he comes across in the best possible light. Even so, there are many examples on the tapes of his bullying and unpleasant personality. But to try and judge him in any way based on tapes whose content he controlled is a laughable exercise.

The point, MrMiniver, is whether you are able to put your many opinions of Lyndon Johnson aside and fairly evaluate "All the Way," which was about Johnson's beginnings in the presidency, including passage of a scores of programs that changed the lives of minorities, especially The 1964 Civil Rights Act. That is why I found your 2014 quote.

Archived