THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Therese Raquin

edjames
This topic is 3265 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Now at the Roundabout Theater Co, this is a dark tale (Originally written by Emile Zola) of a young woman who is unhappily married to her first cousin by an overbearing aunt. Thérèse's husband, Camille, is sickly and egocentric, and when the opportunity arises, Thérèse enters into a passionate affair with one of Camille's friends, Laurent. Therese and Laurent plot and carry out the drowning of Camille to free Therese from her loveless marriage and seek a life happily ever after.

All is not meant to be. The guilt of the heinous act weighs deep upon both of them and life becomes unbearable.

Starring Keira Knightly (who speaks barely 3 words in the first act(!) and spends most of the time gazing out the window), it's a Hitchkockian tale of lies and deceit.

It is actually a lot better than I thought. I did enjoy it very much as did my friends. While Ms Knightley may not be the focus of the first act, she gets into the action during the second act.

Well worth seeing. Good cast (I almost did not recognize Judith Light as aunt).

ED

I agree.

I went to please a friend only when she agreed that I could leave early if I hated it. I did not leave early. I hate to say I enjoyed since it is such a dark play but I did enjoy it.

I will say that I found the acting to be stiff most likely by the director's design. I assume it was to add to the theme of despair.

Also, Matt Ryan is rather hunky.

Archived