THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Flaming Red

Moondance
This topic is 3280 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I didn't know that term, Mike, but I love it

It's not entirely positive, Moondance, and from your comment it's not a universally understood term, although it is understood in Australia and the UK. And Rangas have owned the term. The term appears to have been derived from orang utan, and refers to their red colouration. The term is generally considered insulting, but we red heads have adopted it as our own. I am not insulted in the slightest if I am called a ranga.

It's not entirely positive, Moondance, and from your comment it's not a universally understood term, although it is understood in Australia and the UK. And Rangas have owned the term. The term appears to have been derived from orang utan, and refers to their red colouration. The term is generally considered insulting, but we red heads have adopted it as our own. I am not insulted in the slightest if I am called a ranga.

Interesting. It seems to me that when you take ownership of something that's been used against you, that gives it a special potency.

Personally, I tend to see only the upside in all things Australian. Examples of this: 1. I have not yet recovered from the lust I felt the first time I saw Pat Rafter walk on to a tennis court. (And that was over 20 years ago.) 2. I am a sucker for any guy who calls me "mate." (More research needs to be done, but I may mean that literally.)

Archived