THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

PrEP and clients

calrichmond
This topic is 3269 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

It's actually not that easy to start PrEP, I do question some people who write that...

That's true, in a way. Health insurers are finding reasons not to cover it, or else they cover it as a "specialty drug" with a much higher co-pay. It may be difficult to obtain in some parts of the country where providers are not well informed but in places like NY and SF, it's available just about for the asking. When I first asked for it, my doc questioned its utility in "a man my age," but I didn't allow him to talk me out of it.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My adult life in numbers:

1979, the first year of my undergraduate, and penicillin cured almost everything. The party was on.

4 years later I graduated amidst news that something terrible and mysterious was killing gay men, and nothing stopped it.

5 years later I finished my graduate degrees and we knew what it was. We knew it killed more than just gay men. Lots of people I knew died.

25 years later, a pill comes to the rescue. The party starts up again.

2015, and I am 2/3rds the way through my life. Despite stellar personal health and living those decades without a single STD, I am acutely conscious that nothing in nature stands still, and that rates of evolution at the microscale are much, much faster than at ours. Penicillin took away one fear and PreP has taken away another, however I am uneasy and afraid of The Next Killer, "TNK". To me, it feels like 1979 again.

2025, and something terrible and mysterious is killing gay men. (I don't want to see that happen again.)

Archived