THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Spring Awakening

edjames
This topic is 3237 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

The fall season has begun and one of the first musicals out of the gate is this new production of the 2006 hit musical Spring Awakening.

A rock musical with music by Duncan Sheik and a book/lyrics by Steven Sater, it is based on the German play Spring Awakening (1891) by Frank Wedekind. Set in late-19th century Germany, the musical tells the story of teenagers discovering the inner and outer tumult of teenage sexuality. The score is heavily rock infused.

This production has a "twist." Many in the cast are hearing and/or voice impaired performers. Sign language becomes part of the choreography and those that cannot speak have "ghost" voices (other actors that stand behind or in the shadows voicing their lines or singing their songs). Remarkably it all works very well. The staging, choreography and lighting are great.

According to the director's notes this element was added because back in the 1890's the Milan Conference banned sign language and declared "oralism" (lip reading) as far superior. Deaf students unable to succeed with the oral method were deemed failures. Deaf marriage was frowned upon. Sterilization was commonplace for the hearing and speech impaired.

This production is wonderfully cast and all those wonderful rock anthems, such as "The Bitch of Living" and "Totally Fucked" are front and center with energetic performances.

One of the highlights of the original production was Jonathan Groff in the role of Melchior. This time around, the role is performed by Austin P. McKenzie, a stunner with great looks and a great voice. He resembles a young Corey Haim.

The entire ensemble is great. Acting notables Camryn Manheim, Marlee Matlin and Patrick Page add their talents as the older characters (Mother, Father, Teachers...) .

It was a very satisfying and entertaining production. A limited 17 week run. Available on discounts.

ED

• 2 months later...

I saw the original production and hesitated seeing this new version. But I saw it today and was really glad I did. Deaf West puts a different spin on it as you can see from the previous post. I wondered if it would just be a gimmick but it really works. The cast is stellar and very, very attractive. It's closing January 20. Tickets are not hard to come by and I'd highly recommend seeing it before it closes.

Archived