THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Do I Sound Gay?

beethoven
This topic is 3357 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

This movie opened in New York last week (?), while I was away, and I was hoping to see some reactions here. Anyone seen it yet?

I haven't seen it and am not sure if I will. What I find astounding is that it has given 2 of my straight friends the incentive to say to me that disappointments in my career are because I sound "gay" and this film is proof of their theory. They have never, ever said anything like that to me before but this movie seemed to give them the feeling that they now have the right. When I protested that they were out of line, the immediate response was that I was "too sensitive" because they were only pointing this out "for your own good". Ending those friendships was done for my own good!

On the same topic, I can think of a straight actor considered a bona fide hunk who sounds "gay" to ME - Ryan Reynolds. There'a definite sibilant s in his speech pattern. Seth Meyers sounds "gay" to me. So does his brother. And an openly gay actor sounds very "straight" to me - Neil Patrick Harris.

But then, what do I know? I'm a gay sounding, overly sensitive senior citizen who refuses to take career advice for my own good from 2 people who just couldn't pass up the opportunity to remind me I'm gay and gay sounding, and how wonderful it was of them to be my friends anyway.

I haven't seen it and am not sure if I will. What I find astounding is that it has given 2 of my straight friends the incentive to say to me that disappointments in my career are because I sound "gay" and this film is proof of their theory. They have never, ever said anything like that to me before but this movie seemed to give them the feeling that they now have the right. When I protested that they were out of line, the immediate response was that I was "too sensitive" because they were only pointing this out "for your own good". Ending those friendships was done for my own good!

Amazing. There are constructive ways to give advice, but your two friends were not giving advice, rather judgments.

On the same topic, I can think of a straight actor considered a bona fide hunk who sounds "gay" to ME - Ryan Reynolds. There'a definite sibilant s in his speech pattern. Seth Meyers sounds "gay" to me. So does his brother. And an openly gay actor sounds very "straight" to me - Neil Patrick Harris.

But then, what do I know? I'm a gay sounding, overly sensitive senior citizen who refuses to take career advice for my own good from 2 people who just couldn't pass up the opportunity to remind me I'm gay and gay sounding, and how wonderful it was of them to be my friends anyway.

I'm sorry about your friends. But while I agree with you about Patrick Harris. I have to disagree on Ryan, Seth, and Josh.

Gman

Archived