THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Anyone Ever Heard Of Silicone Based Massage Lotion?

Gar1eth
This topic is 3386 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I was reading a massage ad on Masseur Finder when I read something surprising to me.

'I use a silicone based lotion to work on your back, butt, hamstrings, quads, calves, and your feet. '

Now I'm not a massage connoisseur like many people who peruse this section of the Forum. So I was wondering if anyone else was familiar with this type of massage lotion. (And of course I'm familiar with some of silicone's 'other' uses. :D:p). It would seem to me that silicone would not be great as a massage lubricant-er I mean-lotion because it's not really absorbed.

Gman

There are some silicone-based massage products. Pjur makes one. I think they call it "body glide". It gives a different kind of slipperiness than oil-based products. It is also odorless. There is (or was?) a storefront massage place in downtown Phoenix where they always pointed out to me that they used a silicone-based product that I could wear back to the office. They had no shower, so I guess that mattered to a lot of their customers. I have strong, pleasant associations with the smell of massage lotion... and don't mind carrying that smell around with me for the rest of the day. :)

As le whore mentioned, in large quantities (such as when used for lube) these can be hard to wash off. But for regular, therapeutic massage you only need a few drops.

...As le whore mentioned, in large quantities (such as when used for lube) these can be hard to wash off. But for regular, therapeutic massage you only need a few drops.

Even a small quantity of silicone-based lube or massage lotion will stain clothing. The stains will not come out.

Even a small quantity of silicone-based lube or massage lotion will stain clothing.

That's true. If there's more than a very slight residue it will stain your clothes.

But the silicone compound is soluble in pure alcohol. Not vodka or regular rubbing alcohol. You must use 99% isopropyl alcohol. They sell two dilutions of rubbing alcohol over the counter: 70% and 99%. The former will not remove silicone lube stains. The latter will. I have used it many times to clean large stains from sheets. Spread out the stained sheet on a towel. Thoroughly wet the stained area. Blot with another towel. Repeat using clean towels. Wash everything with regular detergent. They sell 99% rubbing alcohol in the first aid section of grocery stores and at pharmacies.

That's true. If there's more than a very slight residue it will stain your clothes.

But the silicone compound is soluble in pure alcohol. Not vodka or regular rubbing alcohol. You must use 99% isopropyl alcohol. They sell two dilutions of rubbing alcohol over the counter: 70% and 99%. The former will not remove silicone lube stains. The latter will. I have used it many times to clean large stains from sheets. Spread out the stained sheet on a towel. Thoroughly wet the stained area. Blot with another towel. Repeat using clean towels. Wash everything with regular detergent. They sell 99% rubbing alcohol in the first aid section of grocery stores and at pharmacies.

I would recommend against using 99% isopropyl alcohol on items that are dry clean only, such as wool dress slacks, suit jackets, and dress shirts.

PS: Although I recall seeing 99% isopropyl alcohol in stores when I lived in Chicago, here in Southern California stores typically carry 70% but not 99%.

Archived