THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

The Band Wagon

edjames
This topic is 3607 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

An Encores! City Center special event.

Limited Run Nov 6 - 16.

Based on the 1953 MGM film, The Band Wagon is the classic showbiz tale of a washed-up Hollywood star (Tony Award winner Brian Stokes Mitchell) who attempts to make a comeback by doing a Broadway show, and encounters an assortment of colorful characters: a British director who is a genius but has no business directing a musical (Tony Award nominee Tony Sheldon), a leading lady who's never done a show before (Tony Award nominee Laura Osnes), and a composer and a lyricist who are at each other’s throats (Academy Award nominee Michael McKean and seven-time Emmy Award winner Tracey Ullman).

Written by Betty Comden and Adolph Green, the 1953 film told its story through Arthur Schwartz and Howard Dietz’s wonderful songs, including “Dancing in the Dark,” “By Myself,” “I Guess I’ll Have to Change My Plan,” and that great anthem for all of show business, “That's Entertainment." Now five-time Tony nominee Douglas Carter Beane uses the original screenplay (including scenes never filmed) as a basis for this Encores! Special Event, which is directed by three-time Tony Award winner Kathleen Marshall.

Many will remember the classic MGM musical film starring Fred Astaire, Cyd Charisse, Oscar Levant, Nanette Fabrey, and Jack Buchannan. The film ranks as on of the top three musicals produced at MGM studios, although it was never a box office smash.

The cast is perfect, although, let's face it, no one can ever assume to take on the classic role of Fred Astaire without comparison, but Brian Stokes Mitchell is handsome and talented, although his dancing is limited. Tracey Ullman is perfect and comes close to being the real star of the production. Tony Sheldon is over-the-top as the British actor/director who attempts to helm this production. Laura Osnes, who has a wonderful voice, gets a little lost in the role as the ingenue/girlfreind of the self-obsessed choreographer (Michael Beresse).

The music is wonderful and you'll come out of the theater humming more than one great number from the show.

Broadway rumors are flying that the producers want to take it to another theater for a longer run and word is that Side Show, which is doing poor box office (and hasn't even openned!) may vacate the St. James leaving room for The Band Wagon to come in early next year.

A very entertaining evening of song and dance.

I saw this tonight. I have never seen the film and new nothing about it. I really enjoyed it. A lot. All were great in their roles and Laura Osnes can sing and she is beautiful. (It takes a lot for me to notice a woman!) Some of the chorus boys were hot, too. This has been a good week for me: It's Only a Play and Band Wagon. Good times all around.

The cast was definitely better than the show that they were in. It was OK, a few very good numbers, the finale was fun because they all looked like they were having the time of their lives. But it was the last performance, so they were really cutting loose!

I found this a mixed bag as well...and while I enjoyed the cast, I, too, found the book lacking. The score, no, especially in the capable throats of Mitchell, Osnes, and Sheldon. But to replace Astaire with someone whose voice is great but whose dancing is raved about in the text, but is pretty sub-par (until the final number) seems silly. We all know that Encores has about two weeks to rehearse, and like Dancing with the Stars, they pulled out one great dance number for the finale. But to have Mitchell stand center stage and sing Dancing in the Dark and then merely give Osnes a few quick turns was a huge disappointment to me.

I thought Tracy Ullman was fine in the watered down role, (this character's three songs from the movie were given to Osnes,) but a trunk song from another show was given to her...along with a convoluted story line about being in love with Mitchell's character. I also thought that a number of Broadway folks would have done it with more aplomb.

I was also very surprised by the small (by Encores standards) orchestra. One violin and three saxophones? Curious.

The chorus was terrific, giving classic Kathleen Marshall moves a great show.

And like edjames, I was humming several numbers as I excited the theater...

This wasn't a regular part of the annual Encores! series - a "special event" out of season. They usually try to have an orchestra similar to what the original orchestration would require, so I imagine the instrumental ensemble was based on the original soundtrack ensemble. I was also struck by the lack of a real string section, unusual for Encores!, so there must be some historical reasoning behind this set-up.

Archived