THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Anna Netrebko Talks About Future Difficult Roles, Mostly Verdi

WilliamM
This topic is 3652 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/06/arts/after-anna-netrebkos-macbeth-triumph-norma-is-next.html?hpw&rref=arts&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&version=HpHedThumbWell&module=well-region&region=bottom-well&WT.nav=bottom-well&_r=0

I was surprised at how much I liked Netrebko in "Macbeth." She's right about a tenative beginning, but the audience loved her in Act One. By the time, Anna got to the sleepwalking scene, I was completely won over myself.

The next few years are not going to be easy for her.

Bellini's Norma is going to be quite a challenge. No singer this century has really been totally successful in the part... at least in my opinion. Last that I heard Netrebko live she sang one of her 'ina' roles... Adina in L'Elisir d'Amore. The voice was getting larger. Still, a recent review of her Verdi Giovanna D'Arco compared her unfavorably to Caballe, one of the better Norma exponents of the last century. Still she did a reasonable job in Anna Bolena, a piece that was composed for Giuditta Pasta at about the same time as was Norma. So we shall see... and its good to hear that she will be spending some extra time to study the part so as to hopefully pull things off successfully. If nothing else lots of tickets will be sold... and the MET will get a new production to replace the current ugly staging. Though based on their recent Bellini Sonnambula I might be hoping for way too much!

Archived