THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Disgraced

edjames
This topic is 3562 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Now in previews at the Lyceum Theater is a Lincoln Center Theater production of Ayad Aktar's gripping drama Disgraced.

I won't provide plot details so as not to spoil the outcome of this drama.

In short, it is about a Pakistani born lawyer, raised in the USA, who is an up and coming lawyer at a large firm and his wife, an up and coming artist, whose lives crumble and fail.

The drama unfolds as Amir attends the trial of an Iman accused of providing monies to terrorists. The NYTimes reports his attendance and insinuates his involvement with the trial. Guilt by association.

Amir's life and career crumbles and in an innocent dinner get-together with one of his associates and her art gallery husband owner, the words fly fast and furious about race, stereotypes, culture and deception.

90 minutes, no intermission, good cast and good direction. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

ED

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Disgraced.... You decide

After seeing this play, I said to my friends, let's go for a drink.

This is not a play with a happy ending. It covers a wide variety of current issues dealing with cultural differences, art, religion, relationships, racism, assimilation, discrimination, terrorism, spousal abuse, and politics. Plus, I'm sure there were more topics covered but too much was going on and too fast during this amost 90 minute show with no intermission.

The first part of the play is easy to follow as you are introduced to the 5 characters, however, things start to heat up as the 2 couples gather for dinner. You'll quickly find out how years of friendship and marriage come crumbling down as bottled up feelings and secrets come spewing out.

Good performance by Josh Radnor of "How I met your mother". The others I found average for Broadway.

It's best to know something about this play before deciding to go.

I think the NY Post got it right with their review: http://nypost.com/2014/10/23/josh-radnor-plays-a-fine-jerk-but-disgraced-remains-a-flawed-play/

http://www.nytix.com/repository/broadwayshows/2014/disgraced/disgraced-large-643x441.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I recently saw "Disgraced" on Broadway, after kicking myself for not seeing it two years ago for only $20 at the 110-seat Claire Tow Theater at Lincoln Center. Some of my friends saw it there, and loved it, which is why I was eager to get a ticket for this new production. I thought it was OK, but was definitely underwhelmed. After discussing it with these friends, I decided that "Disgraced" plays much better in a small theater. Had I seen the original, I might have still bought a ticket for the new production, and could have made a better comparison. My friends agreed with me that it was probably better suited to the smaller theater.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived