THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

The Tempest at South Coast Repertory

actor61
This topic is 3687 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I am going to see South Coast Repertory's (Coasta Mesa, California) production of "The Tempest" This evening. It has been co-directed by Teller, of Penn and Teller, and he has also created the magic for it. A couple of years ago, I heard an interview with him and the director of a production of "MacBeth" on the East Coast for which he created the apparently quite gruesome special effects and it sounded fascinating. This is what prompted me to get tickets for "Tempest" out here. Has anyone seen either production? I'd be really interested to hear what you thought.

How was it? I am interested in what you thought.

It was pretty astounding. As you'd expect, the magic and illusions were astonishing; they did everything from levitating Miranda to simple card tricks. What I appreciated the most was that the magic was not a gimmick; it actually enhanced the play and the actors certainly knew how to speak the verse. It was beautifully done and somehow left me cold. I know I sound like a curmudgeon and I can't quite figure out why the production didn't move me more. It certainly impressed me but I never connected 100% with it. It's probably my issue and not the show's because the rest of the audience was entranced and delighted. I'm very glad I saw it and I admired the performance and the direction enormously.

Archived