THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Anyone For Hermione Gingold As Evita?

Gar1eth
This topic is 3733 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

From the Mike Douglas Show-

[video=youtube_share;5PBT27vX_6I]

Gman

Have you ever seen "Garbo Talks"? She is absolutely wonderful as an ancient Shakespearean actress playing the Nurse in a production of Romeo & Juliet in Central Park. Just listening to her answering machine message is worth watching the entire movie, which is quite wonderful by the way: Anne Bancroft, Ron Silver, Carrie Fisher, Harvey Fierstein, Dorothy Loudon, Betty Comden.

Am so happy to see someone else who loves "Garbo Talks", one of my favourite little gems, flawed and sentimental perhaps, but with some great performances, and an incredible final scene from Anne Bancroft, done in one take. Gingold is wonderful in it, am so tempted to steal her answermachine message for my voicemail!

As regards my initial post in this thread- while she obviously doesn't fit the 'image' of Evita, I think Hermione does two things well with the song.

#1. If you want to talk about Broadway performers who may not be the greatest singers in the world (I might include Liza Minelli among this number. I know others would say Elaine Stritch. ), I think Hermione totally nails it!!!

#2. And to tell you the truth, I don't think her tonal quality is that bad either.

Gman

Hermione Gingold always had a voice you could not un-hear. I loved that about her.

And she could sell it, too. Your comparison to Liza is not inapt. Liza was never the best vocalist, but she could sell the song. She (and Hermione) could make her audience *want* the next word.

One of my favorite Gingold performances was a record (remember those?) I used to have of "Tubby, the Tuba". She narrated the story in her typical pompous regal style. It was just gloriously awfully glorious.

And she could sell it' date=' too. Your comparison to Liza is not [b']inapt[/b].

Thank you for noticing, Deej. I try my best to always be apt. ;)

One of my favorite Gingold performances was a record (remember those?) I used to have of "Tubby, the Tuba". She narrated the story in her typical pompous regal style. It was just gloriously awfully glorious.

I didn't quite get that.

Just a small correction Gman. That is Merv Griffin, not Mike Douglas. I now return you all to your discussion of the incomparable Ms. Gingold!

TruHart1 :cool:

You are entirely correct. I'm sorry for that mistake. After I posted this, I started thinking about Merv Griffin for some reason. I wonder if at the back of my mind, I realized this was Merv and not Mike. Aside from the fact that Mike was Catholic and straight and Merv was Catholic and closeted- weren't their shows fairly similar?

I think the scene of Hermione that I remember best (at least I think it's Hermione) is the scene from Gigi where she and Leslie Caron are playing tennis with Gaston- Leslie Caron is running all over the place and Hermione is standing still. The tennis ball keeps coming toward her, so she never has to move and hits it back like an automaton. Then of course there is the 'I Remember It Well Scene' with Maurice Chevalier.

I love the saturated background colors of this scene.

[video=youtube_share;sISWPzEqHLQ]http://youtu.be/sISWPzEqHLQ

Gman

Before Merv and Mike, Hermione was a frequent guest on the "The Tonight Show with Jack Paar" and the "The Jack Paar Program," which ran on prime time for three or four years.

As to singers, I can not think of a Broadway performer, except early Streisand, who had a hit single or album.

Also, I can not think of a late night host who moved successfully to prime time, except Jack Paar. Steve Allen did it, but with a variety show, not a talk show.

Unfortunately Gar1eth the tennis scene, you mention, in Gigi was not Hermione’s. She was simply an observer. The tennis player in question was the, much younger, girl Maurice Chevalier was pursuing. Now the “I Remember It Well” scene was definitely hers and it was definitely wonderful.

As to singers, I can not think of a Broadway performer, except early Streisand, who had a hit single or album.

For the past six months, at the least, "Let It Go" has been on the air and stuck in heads everywhere. Though it is from a movie, the performer is definitely a Broadway performer, Idina Menzel, and the song is defintely a hit. There are many many others.

Linda Eder has had several "hit" albums though no breakthrough single of which I am aware.

Unfortunately Gar1eth the tennis scene, you mention, in Gigi was not Hermione’s. She was simply an observer. The tennis player in question was the, much younger, girl Maurice Chevalier was pursuing. Now the “I Remember It Well” scene was definitely hers and it was definitely wonderful.

Sigh- I knew I needed to watch this movie again. Thanks for setting me straight- well you know what I mean.

Gman

Archived