THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Meryl Streep to Play Callas

Epigonos
This topic is 3753 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

An interesting fact about Streep being too old to play Callas: Zoe Caldwell, who created Callas in the original run of the play in 1995, was born in 1933, making her 63 (playing Callas at 47) in 1995 and four months from being 65 (the same age as Streep now) in 1997, when first run of the play closed. Tyne Daly, born in 1946, in the two-month run of the revival in 2011, as WG points out, WAS actually 65 years old!

TruHart1 :cool:

You can't compare the ages of a STAGE actress performance and a FILM actress performance. There are no HD cameras on stage -- there is distance between the audience and the performer. That's not true in film or TV.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just found this... in 1988 Jane Seymour certainly nails the essence of Callas... and more so than Raul Julia as Onassis... Not only does she have the mannerisms down pat, but based on photos of Callas on stage at Covent Garden in Cherubini's Medea she probably gives us the closest thing to actually seeing how La Divina interpreted that most Grecian of operatic roles!

A montage:

The entire film here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxP9052w4qI

60 is the new 40, so Streep would be about right. Callas, for me, did not exude a youthful aura nor was she particularly youthful in her appearance. If there is an actress capable of transporting you to that time and that age, Streep is the one who can do it.

60 is the new 40, so Streep would be about right. Callas, for me, did not exude a youthful aura nor was she particularly youthful in her appearance. If there is an actress capable of transporting you to that time and that age, Streep is the one who can do it.

Well if "60 is the new 40" my left shoulder has not gotten the message... at least as based on my recent posting in the Folsom thread in the Fetush Forum!

Regarding Streep I'm sure she can pull it off.

Interestingly Jane Seymour and I were born three days apart... So based on that reasoning she should be capable of pulling off the feat today as well. Incidentally she was in her late thirties when the Onassis film was made... about the appropriate age for the early scenes in the movie...

I just found this... in 1988 Jane Seymour certainly nails the essence of Callas... and more so than Raul Julia as Onassis... Not only does she have the mannerisms down pat, but based on photos of Callas on stage at Covent Garden in Cherubini's Medea she probably gives us the closest thing to actually seeing how La Divina interpreted that most Grecian of operatic roles!

A montage:

The entire film here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxP9052w4qI

The only real problem here is that Jane Seymour simply can't act. I don't believe this performance for a milli-second.

Archived