THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Hedwig Opens- No Angry Reviews!!

Frankly Rich
This topic is 3795 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Neil Patrick Harris is just a winner. It seems that he can do no wrong in his career, even when he takes on the role of a gender bending character already made famous by John Cameron Mitchell

Once again I look to the website didhelikeit.com for both the summary of the show and the summaries of the reviews. Each summary has a link to take you to the full review:

Synopsis: Hedwig and the Angry Inch is a musical comedy that tells the story of a fictional rock 'n' roll band, fronted by Hedwig, a transgender woman and “internationally ignored song stylist” from East Berlin.

The review summaries and links: http://www.didhelikeit.com/shows/hedwig-and-the-angry-inch-reviews.html

http://thenypost.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/hedwig_and_the_angry_inch_2700.jpg?w=300

Chances are this show may sell out but take heart. There are supposed to be standing room tickets for $29 for sold out performances. The show is only 90 minutes long so not too hard on the feet. Besides it will be easier if you decide to dance along with NPH but just don't yell "I love you Neal"!

An interesting discussion in the Wall Street Journal on Hedwig's road to Broadway: http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2014/04/22/hedwig-and-the-angry-inch-on-broadway-how-far-weve-come/

"The result: Harris immerses himself so fully into the role of Hedwig—a part which requires him to be on stage for 100 minutes, without intermission, seven shows a week—that it’s a true testament to his dedication and stamina just how winning his performance is. His Hedwig is different from John Cameron Mitchell’s: a bit sunnier, a bit sillier, less rock and roll glam and more please-like-me showman. But the Belasco isn’t the Jane Theatre: it’s a big house, and this is a large-scale, thrilling production, with sets that amplify the drama of the songs while retaining the intimacy and pain within the lyrics.

And despite the melancholy and the emotional pain underlying the story, Hedwig still feels like a celebration: the “little show that could” finally going mainstream mirroring the gay rights movement’s similar ascent over the past decade and a half."

Glad I purchased a ticket, orchestra center, row six before it opened. Will be in NY for six days in May - I think I can see at least seven shows.

I'd sure like to know how you got that seat. I also bought early, paid full price, but got stuck far to the side, albeit 7th row. None of my full-price tickets turned out to be great seats except for Of Mice and Men, and that's one not great, just good.

Saw Hedwig last week, it was an amazing experience. I never saw the original,

because it’s sounded lame to me and I hated the sound track. I was very wrong.

Neil Patrick Harris’s performance is phenomenal. Lena Hall’s voice as Yitzhak is

soaring and beautiful. The show doesn’t stop for even a second. Although standing

ovations for even the worst shows have unfortunately become routine on Broadway,

it’s been years since I’ve seen an audience leap to its feet and applaud with such passion.

I honestly thought the NY Times review, which was very good, should have been more glowing.

If you’re in NYC and can get tickets (good luck), you must see this extraordinary show.

I did see the original. I have no memory as to why. Who could have dragged me over to 12th St. and the Jane Theater, which wasn't much of a theater. But I fell in love with the show and went back again. Good seats were easy to come by then. But, finally word caught up and the show became a hard ticket.

Saw this the other night and I agree with ben brantley of the new york times: NPH doesn't fully become hedwig the way john cameron mitchell did. you can still see him trying to be the character

it's NPH playing hedwig. you never believe it's a totally different person

What a difference 16 years and 16 million dollars make! When I traipsed over to the Jane Street Theater back in 1998, I didn't want to go. A tawdry theater in a sleazy neighborhood. Not to mention a show about a drag queen. But my friends kept saying " you gotta see it, you gotta see it!" And they were right as I was blown away by John Cameron Mitchell's portrayal of Hedwig. Why I even told people "you gotta see it, you gotta see it." More than once, I went back.

So, tonight I had some wonder if that sense of theatrical joy would be renewed. Rest assured, it is. There is a new Hedwig, for a new generation. You have never heard a Broadway audience go nuts like they did tonight. Boy, did Neil Patrick Harris show his range. He played a sweeter Hedwig, less gritty, but when that grand finale comes, he's all Hedwig. His teeny (tini?) little outfit at the end didn't show any balls, but he really has them to give such a soul-baring performance in a role few would have cast him for.Go see it!

I heard so many people racing about the show they had just seen. They were as blown away as I was in 1998.

Hedwig and the Angry Inch

I had heard and read so many good reviews of Hedwig and the Angry Inch that I couldn't wait to see... Neil Patrick Harris is such a gifted and talented actor. His role as Hedwig really connected with the audience. He is one wild and crazy performer.

I enjoyed this show right from the start as it opens with Hedwig being lowered onto the stage. The audience went wild... This show is 95 minutes of not knowing what's going to happen next. The band was very good, I enjoyed the music, and Lena Hall as Yitzhak was amazing. NPH puts his heart and soul into this character. He runs around that stage in high heels and bizarre wigs. He sweats a lot and manages to pull of some quick costume changes.

I spoke with a few people who were visiting NYC. They told me they built their vacation around seeing NPH in Hedwig. Needless to say, they weren't disappointed.

http://pixel.nymag.com/imgs/daily/vulture/2013/10/15/15-hedwig-angry-inch-neil-patrick-harris.o.jpg/a_560x0.jpg

It makes me happy when others like Hedwig as much as I did. I'd be sweating, too, if I had to expend all the energy the role calls for, not to mention those hot theater lights.

Thanks for the review, Cooper.

BTW, the article discussing Violet's road to Broadway also has some talk of Hedwig's road: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/11/theater/theaterspecial/moving-your-show-to-broadway-not-so-fast.html?hpw&rref=theater

http://berkshireonstage.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/bos-nph-hedwig.jpeg?w=700

http://pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/neil-patrick-harris-hedwig.jpg?w=670&h=377&crop=1

Saw this the other night and I agree with ben brantley of the new york times: NPH doesn't fully become hedwig the way john cameron mitchell did. you can still see him trying to be the character it's NPH playing hedwig. you never believe it's a totally different person

I read Ben Brantley's review. It's very positive on NPH role and says he's in an "elite club" with this performance:

"The man playing Hedwig never loses control, though. With this show, Mr. Harris joins an elite club of musical-comedy male supernovas that has exactly one other member these days, Hugh Jackman."

"Playing an “internationally ignored song stylist” of undefinable gender in “Hedwig and the Angry Inch,” Mr. Harris is in full command of who he is and, most excitingly, what he has become with this performance. That’s a bona fide Broadway star, the kind who can rule an audience with the blink of a sequined eyelid."

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/23/theater/hedwig-and-the-angry-inch-stars-neil-patrick-harris.html

I agree that the Brantley review is very favorable to Neil Patrick Harris. However, among theater-goers, there was bound to be comparisons with the original Hedwig, John Cameron Mitchell. (Apparently it takes three names to play Hedwig!)

And I was one of those people making the comparisons. I saw the original show twice, and fell in love with it. Yes, I was skeptical when I heard that the nice guy Harris was cast as the gritty Hedwig. Once the show started, it took me a little while to accept the Harris as Hedwig character. Yet it's a tribute to his immense skill that he not only performed well, but he transformed himself into the role. By the end of the show, I definitely was looking at Hedwig, not Neil. His performance is a success without question.

I thought Brantley's comment about Jackman was rather silly. I have enjoyed some of his stuff (Boy from Oz was perfectly suited to him) but that tinny, nasally voice is really rather annoying and over the course of a 2 plus hour show very difficult to listen to. NPH has a much nicer sound.

Hugh Jackman's newest Broadway appearance will be in The River, at the Broadhurst Theater, with previews set to begin on October 31st.

It's really nice to see a star with that kind of big movie career devote so much of his schedule to the theater. He's to be commended for that.

The Legendary Dave and I saw Hedwig this past Thursday and were totally blown away. Dave's a big fan of the movie and thought this very different production was top notch.

We saw Here Lies Love tonight and found it to be pretty amazing too. A great couple of days. Lucky me, and lucky Dave, too.

He's currently massaging my neck and cracking up as I write this. :)

Archived