THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Danile Radcliffe Opens in Cripple of Inishmaan

Frankly Rich
This topic is 3805 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

The website didhelikeit.com does a good job of summarizing reviews, and then provides links to the full review should you want to read more.

Here is the synopsis of the show: Synopsis: Daniel Radcliffe stars in this new production of Martin McDonagh's The Cripple of Inishmaan. Set on the remote island of Inishmaan off the west coast of Ireland, word arrives that a Hollywood film is being made on the neighboring island of Inishmore. The one person who wants to be in the film more than anybody is young Cripple Billy, if only to break away from the bitter tedium of his daily life.

And, here are the summaries: http://www.didhelikeit.com/shows/the-cripple-of-inishmaan.html

Pretty good reviews. I saw Daniel Radcliffe in Equus, and he burned up the stage. I saw The Cripple of Inishmaan when it was first produced in New York in 1998, and had so much trouble with the Irish accents that it seriously impacted my ability to enjoy the show. You do get used to them a bit as the show goes on. I can't speak to the topic in the current show.

I saw The Cripple of Inishmaan when it was first produced in New York in 1998, and had so much trouble with the Irish accents that it seriously impacted my ability to enjoy the show. You do get used to them a bit as the show goes on. I can't speak to the topic in the current show.

I was listening to a discussion about the play on Public Radio last weekend. I think the woman being interviewed was one of the actresses. They made the point that in the play at the beginning there is a lot of repetition of words by the characters. And that Martin McDonagh the playwright did this intentionally to help people become accustomed to the accent.

Gman

I thought Radcliffe's performance in Equus was one of the bravest performances I've ever seen on a stage especially for a star known for what he is known for and his young age. Of course, no Tony nomination for it. They seem to dislike him for some reason.

I recently saw him in the film KILL YOUR DARLINGS as Allen Ginsberg and the big homosexual murder among the Beats in the late 40s. Thought it and he were terrific.

For an actor who has more money than he will ever need and never has to work again for the rest of his life I'm astounded at what difficult roles he chooses to play. I thought he was amazing in Equus and I saw the first productions with Richard Burton as the psychiatrist. Let's face it. Being naked on stage takes guts. Dancing and singing in How To Succeed was another brave choice and he was great. Can't wait to see this new role. He's also done some really interesting films. If he just wanted more money at this point I'm sure he could do lots of movies he could just coast through.

For an actor who has more money than he will ever need and never has to work again for the rest of his life I'm astounded at what difficult roles he chooses to play. I thought he was amazing in Equus and I saw the first productions with Richard Burton as the psychiatrist. Let's face it. Being naked on stage takes guts. Dancing and singing in How To Succeed was another brave choice and he was great. Can't wait to see this new role. He's also done some really interesting films. If he just wanted more money at this point I'm sure he could do lots of movies he could just coast through.

Absolutely. Although for the sake of accuracy, Richard Burton wasn't in the original production of Equus on Broadway (and wasn't in the original London cast either). That would be Anthony Hopkins who originated the role on Broadway. Burton played the part much later along with Anthony Perkins and Leonard Nimoy. He also did the film. Peter Firth, of course, was the original Alan in both London and New York.

Of course, one could take the other argument that with all that money, it frees him to do whatever he wishes since he no longer has to worry about money. I also think it is a question of necessity. Daniel Radcliffe, no matter how talented, is not going to be a big romantic Hollywood movie star or action star or conventional leading man. It's not in the genes, if you know what I mean. So picking quirky, unusual subject matter is really the best option for him. And, as it turns out, it really is what he is best suited for ....

Of course, one could take the other argument that with all that money, it frees him to do whatever he wishes since he no longer has to worry about money. I also think it is a question of necessity. Daniel Radcliffe, no matter how talented, is not going to be a big romantic Hollywood movie star or action star or conventional leading man. It's not in the genes, if you know what I mean. So picking quirky, unusual subject matter is really the best option for him. And, as it turns out, it really is what he is best suited for ....

There was a period with 'quirky' looking Hollywood Romantic Stars like Dustin Hoffman or Richard Dreyfuss. Maybe Daniel could bring it back?

Gman

There was a period with 'quirky' looking Hollywood Romantic Stars like Dustin Hoffman or Richard Dreyfuss. Maybe Daniel could bring it back?

Gman

That was a particular period in time that I don't think is going to be repeated. And even during that time, most of the really big romantic roles were going to Redford, Newman, and O'Neal .... and Radcliffe makes Hoffman look tall! :):):

Regardless of height Radcliffe has balls. Big ones he showed off in Equus. I think he's pretty damn sexy.

Ah, well, I love Radcliffe's talent but there's something a little too "English pervy" -- as my Brit friends would say -- about him that I know I'd find offputting. Same with Elijah Wood.

So wrong that Radcliffe was not given a Tony nod. His performance in The Cripple of Inishmaan and past performances prove he really deserves some proper recognition. He's so much more than Harry Potter. I'm glad he made a ton of money so he can just do what he wants and the hell with those fake award shows.

So wrong that Radcliffe was not given a Tony nod. His performance in The Cripple of Inishmaan and past performances prove he really deserves some proper recognition. He's so much more than Harry Potter. I'm glad he made a ton of money so he can just do what he wants and the hell with those fake award shows.

Would the play be eligible for this year's Tonys? I mean it just started. Wouldn't it be eligible for next year's award? Or where you referring to one of his previous plays?

Gman

The Cripple of Inishmaan

Equus

How to Succeed in Business without Really Trying

I'd like someone to name a big star in the past 5 years who has done anything close to that kind of range on Broadway.

The Tony committee (some of whom are my friends) and complete idiots.

It's hard to tell from reading this thread if anyone contributing actually saw Daniel Radcliffe in the Broadway play "The Cripple Of Inishmaan"... I did and enjoyed it. Creative and, at times, a funny plot. Good acting put in by all. Once you get used to the accents, which doesn't take long, you'll sit back and get caught up in this fascinating journey... Whether it be this play or the other shows Daniel Radcliffe has been in, he gives it his all. A performance well done. Playing the part of Cripple Billy, Radcliffe does have a most unique limp/skip, almost looking like a pogo stick going up and down. He gave a Tony performance. His scene where he's in Hollywood, sick in bed, and dying is touching and excellently acted. For a comic relief, June Watson as Mammy was wonderful. Sarah Greene, playing Helen McCormick, was nominated for a Tony... In total, "The Cripple of Inishmaan" received 6 Tony nominations.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSsXVhBF6x0DmtXwdA4YwEPzCYRI00KXf7R_-H9cpwhs7rTc6dp_Q

One of the friends who saw this show with me has seen two previous productions with other actors in the role of Billy. He thought Radcliffe's performance was the best he's seen. How Radcliffe can limp around on that stage all night and not turn into an actual cripple from the way he distorts his body is worth a Tony in itself. He will get a Tony eventually and if I was him I wouldn't bother to show up.

It's hard to tell from reading this thread if anyone contributing actually saw Daniel Radcliffe in the Broadway play "The Cripple Of Inishmaan"... I did and enjoyed it. Creative and, at times, a funny plot. Good acting put in by all. Once you get used to the accents, which doesn't take long, you'll sit back and get caught up in this fascinating journey... Whether it be this play or the other shows Daniel Radcliffe has been in, he gives it his all. A performance well done. Playing the part of Cripple Billy, Radcliffe does have a most unique limp/skip, almost looking like a pogo stick going up and down. He gave a Tony performance. His scene where he's in Hollywood, sick in bed, and dying is touching and excellently acted. For a comic relief, June Watson as Mammy was wonderful. Sarah Greene, playing Helen McCormick, was nominated for a Tony... In total, "The Cripple of Inishmaan" received 6 Tony nominations.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSsXVhBF6x0DmtXwdA4YwEPzCYRI00KXf7R_-H9cpwhs7rTc6dp_Q

I did but I can't understand your comment about whether or not people saw the show. Of course, I saw it twice. I loved him. He deserved the Tony nom.

I did but I can't understand your comment about whether or not people saw the show. Of course, I saw it twice. I loved him. He deserved the Tony nom.

Hello MrMiniver... Thanks for letting me know you saw it twice, I didn't know that from reading this thread... The reason for my comment is.... In this thread re: The Cripple of Inishmaan, no one wrote a review of the play. Like others who contribute here, I'm interested in reading and responding to the views/opinions of those who actually saw it. When it comes to discussing a performance, I'm not a fan of hear-say and gossip.. If a play sucked, ex. Casa Valentina, I'd like to know before deciding to attend or not. The theater reviews in this Forum are usually on target and have been a big help to me... Hope that explains my comment. Coop

Hello MrMiniver... Thanks for letting me know you saw it twice, I didn't know that from reading this thread... The reason for my comment is.... In this thread re: The Cripple of Inishmaan, no one wrote a review of the play. Like others who contribute here, I'm interested in reading and responding to the views/opinions of those who actually saw it. When it comes to discussing a performance, I'm not a fan of hear-say and gossip.. If a play sucked, ex. Casa Valentina, I'd like to know before deciding to attend or not. The theater reviews in this Forum are usually on target and have been a big help to me... Hope that explains my comment. Coop

Oh, I get it now. Thanks. I often just don't have time for full length reviews or even impressions. My time is such that I usually only time for a pithy (hopefully) comment or two.

I finally saw it tonight.

I saw the original US production at the Atlantic in 2008, and enjoyed it then, and enjoyed it again on Broadway. The entire cast is pretty exceptional. They truly work as a team...and for the first time in a McDonough play, I was able to catch the accent from the onset. (It helped that we were in the center of the second row of the mezzanine, I'm sure.)

I think this may be my favorite of McDonough's works, maybe because it's the least dark...although there is a darkness to it. It has the requisite violence and surprises, but also a surprising amount of charm, which I find to be lacking in some of his work.

Radcliffe gives a wonderful, (and very contorted) performance. LOL. There's nothing subtle about Billy, except for his intellect and heart, but to the characters in the play, they've never noticed it...and admit it fairly blatantly.

As far as the Tony "snub", it's been clear that he isn't a favorite of the committee in any given year. Heck, I think he should have been nominated-AND WON-for How to Succeed..., but here, the performance was so strongly matched by the rest of the cast, that among this year's contender's for leading men, I am not surprised that he was overlooked. Had his name not been over the title, I think he would have been nominated as a featured performer...and could have won. I do think he's one of the "greats" who even at a young age has truly demonstrated an incredible range and commitment to the profession. I would LOVE to have dinner with him and hear him talk about the theater.

Back to the show: The ladies who play his adoptive aunts are both wonderful, and Sarah Greene, who WAS nominated for a Tony, is pretty terrific as the sadistic minx, Helen. She's astonishing as the coquette who wins Billy's heart as she puts off the rest of the town. But then again her egg-throwing, (not to mention the glee she derives from killing,) makes her a tough sell to the audience as well, and yet, my friends and I were charmed as well, particularly by the joy in her last brief appearance.

I wish the Tony's had an Ensemble Award category...but that's a diatribe for another place.

The logistics...this is playing at the Cort Theater on 48th, which has three levels. I got our tickets last week...there is a discount offer on Playbill and Theatermania, about $30 off. The mezzanine was 50% empty, but orchestra looked pretty full. It's also been on the half-price ticket booth for most weekday performances.

Show got 6 Tony nominations (Best Revival of a Play, Direction of a Play, Scenic Design, Lighting Design, Sound Design and Featured Actress for Ms. Greene.) I will comment on these later when I've seen more.

Seeing Casa Valentina tomorrow, which got mixed to positive reviews in the press, but not here. LOL

Archived