THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Franco Calls Critic a "Bitch"

Frankly Rich
This topic is 3821 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I guess I misunderstood your post, then - I thought "getting the last laugh" was for the possibility of Franco getting nominated. (Unless you think he'd be bumped to the supporting category? I somehow doubt it.)

Let's see if the play gets a nomination. Have you seen it?

A question for our theater experts... In the play, Of Mice and Men, both Franco and O'Dowd have leading roles. Would each be eligible to be nominated in the best actor category? I don't think either actor would be considered as a "supporting role"...

A question for our theater experts... In the play, Of Mice and Men, both Franco and O'Dowd have leading roles. Would each be eligible to be nominated in the best actor category? I don't think either actor would be considered as a "supporting role"...

The Tonys have been known to play some games with that from time to time - it also depends a lot on how the actors are billed, no matter what we may consider the roles to be. One case I can think of - because William Daniels was not billed above the title for 1776, he was given a featured actor nomination for his role of John Adams in the show - a nomination he chose to refuse, because of course, he IS indisputably the leading role in terms of the show itself.

In answer to your other question above - no, I have not seen Of Mice And Men - I'm just going off of opinions I have heard.

The Tonys have been known to play some games with that from time to time - it also depends a lot on how the actors are billed, no matter what we may consider the roles to be. One case I can think of - because William Daniels was not billed above the title for 1776, he was given a featured actor nomination for his role of John Adams in the show - a nomination he chose to refuse, because of course, he IS indisputably the leading role in terms of the show itself.

Thanks for your answer.

The Tonys have been known to play some games with that from time to time - it also depends a lot on how the actors are billed' date=' no matter what we may consider the roles to be. One case I can think of - because William Daniels was not billed above the title for [i']1776[/i], he was given a featured actor nomination for his role of John Adams in the show - a nomination he chose to refuse, because of course, he IS indisputably the leading role in terms of the show itself.

Yes, the Tony Awards have been all over the place. I did not see 1776. But, I did see the 1960 hit "The Unsinkable Molly Brown" with Tammy Grimes. Ms. Grimes played the lead role, no one else was close. Yet she won a Tony Award as Best Featured Actress in a Musical. The year before Jackie Gleason and Walter Pigeon were both nominated for Best Actor in Musical for "Take Me Along." Gleason won, although I remember Gleason spending less time on stage than Pigeon. Bottom line: Grimes and Gleason helped sell a lot of tickets to their respective musicals.

Yes, they are both eligible for Best Actor nominations. The old rules about billing and such were long ago changed. It used to be if you were billed above the title you had to be nominated for lead and if you were billed under the title you had to be nominated for featured. It often resulted in silly thing likes Yul Brynner being nominated for featured when it's obvious he's the leading male in King and I. So today, while Angela Lansbury was billed above the title she was nominated for featured actress in Blithe Spirit since it's clearly a supporting role.

Further, I really don't think the Tonys are often an indicator of quality. There were a couple of years when the best actor in musical wasn't even nominated (Daniel Radcliffe in How to Succeed), Michael Hayden in Carousel.

They often, like those "little awards out in Hollywood", get it very wrong.

Further, I really don't think the Tonys are often an indicator of quality. There were a couple of years when the best actor in musical wasn't even nominated (Daniel Radcliffe in How to Succeed), Michael Hayden in Carousel.

They often, like those "little awards out in Hollywood", get it very wrong.

Well, even with words like "best" and "wrong" being 100% subjective, I do tend to agree.:p

Archived