THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

The City of Conversation

foxy
This topic is 3805 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Jan Maxwell gives a fine performance as fictional Georgetown hostess Hester Ferris. The play begins in 1979 and Hester is preparing for one of her dinner parties when her son shows up a day early with his fiancé. They have both just graduated from the London School of Economics. Hester is a liberal Democrat and her son's girlfriend a Reaganite Republican. The two clash immediately. Following 6 presidential administrations Hester is eventually estranged from her son and beloved grandson. There is a gay twist at the end of the play which suits the story. If you like plays with a political theme you will enjoy this well written and very well acted show now playing at Lincoln Center.

• 2 weeks later...

Now that I have seen it, I would like to have foxy here to talk about it! It's a good show, about liberals and conservatives, changing times and generations, family and heart. But I had some real questions as to why they did this or that, especially sending that young Tea Party wannabe into a room to smoke cigars with the men. Not gender bending or feminist when you consider what a right-wing weirdo she really is.

First of all, I enjoyed this play immensely, and so did everyone I know. That said, yes, one may legitimately have "some

real questions as to why they did this or that," but that didn't bother me at all. OK, maybe women didn't smoke cigars with the men after dinner, but this right-wing gal was aggressive in becoming a Washington, DC "player." I think that Jan Maxwell, who is just wonderful in this play, doesn't receive all the acclaim due her. She is one of our best actresses.

Also, to digress, I saw "A Gentlemen's Guide to Love and Murder" the other night. This was only the third time that I recall seeing the same production twice -- the others were "Damn Yankees" and "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum." I had bought a ticket for this before it opened, and decided to see it again before it was nominated for ten Tonys. Absolutely delightful!! The musical that I've seen most, in various productions, is "Candide." I saw the original in Boston in 1956, and have taken every opportunity I've had to see it in England, off-Broadway, NY City Opera, etc.

I think that when you leave a play having questions, or wanting to discuss it further, you have probably seen a good play. It's the ones you can walk away from without a further thought that I try to avoid.

Not at all. Often, you walk away wanting to talk about something because of how awful it was. Discussion is no indication of quality.

You are right. I hadn't thought of that.

When I saw one of the first previews of PASSION with a couple of friends we talked about it for hours because we HATED it so much. I feel slightly differently about it now but I still don't much care for it and I'm definitely a Sondheim groupie :)

Archived