THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Raisins Good Enough To Eat

Frankly Rich
This topic is 3810 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

A Raisin in the Sun opened tonight, and the early review from the Associated Press just raves, especially about Denzel Washington's performance:

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2014/04/03/arts/ap-us-theater-review-a-raisin-in-the-sun.html?hp

Ben Brantley at the NY Times is more measured, but he liked it, especially the ensemble's acting: http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2014/04/03/arts/ap-us-theater-review-a-raisin-in-the-sun.html?hp

The nydailynews.com gives it five stars! "Superb," they say: http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/music-arts/raisin-sun-theater-review-article-1.1742462

And Terry Teachout at the Wall Street Journal nearly has an orgasm: "This is still a great production of a great play, a blazing tale of hurt and hope that will burn itself so deeply into your heart that you'll be feeling its heat for a long, long time to come." http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303978304579471790328514428?mg=reno64-wsj

Now I'm sure glad I have that ticket...

• 2 weeks later...

I am not sure people realize that Barack and Michelle Obama saw "Raisin in the Sun" last night (Friday) on Broadway. From a report of one poster on a Broadway chat site there was not much to see, even if just a few rows away:

"The lights went out and then a crew of people entered the side door with very bright flashlights. People applauded and the Obamas and secret service men sat down. You really could not see them in the dark and with the bright flashlights going.

Then this really loud siren went off for literally 15 minutes. An announcer kept saying "This is not an emergency, please stay in your seats out of respect to the actors". I believe the siren disabled most cell phones so that no pictures or calls could be made."

I was never in the audience on Broadway when a president attended. But, I did see shows with Nancy Reagan and then Hillary Clinton when they were first ladies. Of course, that was before September 11, 2001 and cell phones that took photos. I remember a lot of secret service men inside and outside the theaters, but Mrs. Reagan and Mrs. Clinton were visible throughout the respective musicals. Mrs. Reagan came on stage at the end of the performance (she had appeared on Broadway in the 1940s musical "Lute Song," so understood theater first hand). Mrs. Clinton talked with many folks around her during intermission.

I didn't get to see this this past week as I am down in Augusta for the annual Masters tournament (the second coming couldn't get me to miss that) but thanks for the heads up about the opening which I almost forgot about. I'm seeing it next week and really looking forward to it although I must admit I'm missing Diahann Carroll who was originally announced and then withdrew. It should be very special to see this cast in this very fine play.

• 3 weeks later...

A few years ago, I saw Clybourne Park, a sequel of sorts to A Raisin in the Sun. I was underwhelmed, and found myself wishing I had seen Raisin, as it sounded much better. And now I can say that it is.

No presidents tonight, but a packed house. Star Denzel Washington wasn't the firecracker on stage I had expected him to be, but his performance was nothing to be ashamed of. Latanya Richardson Jackson, as his mother, had the meatiest lines and she delivers them with gusto. The rest of the cast was also quite good as they prepared to leave their family home to move into the all-white Clybourne Park.

Racism is still in the news, isn't that something?

Archived