THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

TKTS and Motown the musical

seaboy4hire
This topic is 3839 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Anyone use this TKTS service before? It was suggested by someone I know who works in the traveling Broadway shows. I see they have a Brooklyn outlet and was thinking it might be best to use that one to avoid the lines on the other side of the water. And since I am staying in Brooklyn figured it'd be easier to hit. Also anyone see Motown? I am not a big theater person but I would feel incomplete if I didn't see a Broadway show while in NYC.

Hugs,

Greg

For some opinions on the Brooklyn TKTS booth, I went to Yelp. They have some reviews of it, and they are positive: http://www.yelp.com/biz/tkts-downtown-brooklyn-brooklyn

I have used the Brooklyn booth myself, but so long ago that my views are probably not up to date. But, if you are already in Brooklyn, it seems to make sense.

As far as Motown, I don't recall anyone here reviewing it. I think it's what they call a "jukebox" musical- designed to get the hits out, but not devoted to the intricacies of a Broadway musical. If you want to see a really good Broadway musical, one that's both clever and fun, see A Gentleman's Guide to Love And Murder. It's very well reviewed here. That's just one suggestion. Whatever you choose to see, I hope that you like it.

The TKTS outlet in Brooklyn is a very savvy option to missing the line. And you can buy next day tickets for matinees there, which is nice. There is an app you can download for 99 cents that will tell you what is up at each of the three booths when they're open.

Motown has been up lately, but I have to admit, it's the one show from last season that I missed. Not because I didn't want to see it, but because when it first opened there were no discounts, and then a friend from out of town who was dying to see it cancelled his trip, and I am kind of waiting for him to reschedule.

That being said...from friends whom I trust: As far as jukebox musicals go, it's got sensational music to work with. The performers (particularly the Diana Ross) got great notices, (and though I suspect they've all left by now, I am sure that their replacements are pretty great.)

The only consistent negative that I heard was that the book connecting the musical numbers is pretty dreadful. It was written in part by Barry Gordy himself, and thus glosses over anything he didn't want out there. But within a few minutes, you're back to some of that amazing Motown sound.

Other jukebox musicals still running would be Jersey Boys (sensational look at The Four Seasons), Mamma Mia (ABBA's fun but stupefying mother/daughter tale), and Beautiful (about the life of Carol King and the songwriting folks around her during her early heyday.)

I applaud your desire to see a show while you're here...especially since you admit you're not a theater person.

Archived