THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Casa Valentina

foxy
This topic is 3777 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Last night I saw the first preview performance of Casa Valentina by Harvey Fierstein. The play is inspired by a real resort in The Catskills in the early 1960's. Parties are held for men who like to dress up in women's clothes. These are supposedly happily married, straight men who just like to get in touch with their feminine side. Okay I thought but straight men in women's clothes is pretty silly especially when they are trying to look like real women. And these guys don't. They aren't drag queens so nothing glamorous here. Still this is by Harvey Fierstein who is a funny, smart, successful playwright and performer. He will make something good out of all this I hoped. I guess I was thinking "Some Like It Hot" or possibly "Tootsie" but what he gives us is more "Boys In The Band". There are a few jokes but the play turns all dark and heavy handed preachy. Should gay men be allowed into their "sorority" ? but most of the men protest that gay men are sick and perverted. They aren't gay. Then a couple of them say how they've been supported by gay men by allowing them to be who they are. Another dark speech is delivered by the daughter of one of the men and the straight couple who own the resort are probably going to divorce because the wife can't compete with her husband's alter ego. Play ends with him at his dressing table putting on make-up. Curtain comes down. Arrrgh! Harvey, what were you thinking?

Foxy, I can feel your pain in writing this review. Like you, I went to see Casa Valentine expecting to see another fine work by Harvey Fierstein but, instead, I found myself wanting to leave at intermission as many did.

The idea of a group of straight men, heading to a Catskills resort so they could dress up and act like women just didn't work. I lost interest as this play dragged on. I didn't even find the characters interesting.

The play ends with the words, "What the Hell?"... I guess that sums up my review. Even though this play has just opened in previews, I don't see how it can be improved.

http://d3rm69wky8vagu.cloudfront.net/article-photos/large/1.169182.jpg

http://ppc.broadway.com/shows/casa-valentina/

The Sunday NY Times Arts & Leisure has done a first page cover story on the the actors getting into women's clothes for the play. It's not a review as the play doesn't open till April 23rd. But it does make the play sound interesting and if I hadn't seen it I would be inclined to buy a ticket based on this article. I'm sure it will boost ticket sales. Still I thought it was a misfire and will be curious to see how it is reviewed when it opens.

• 2 weeks later...

Casa Valentina opened last night to decent reviews. The website didhelikeit.com says the NY Times was middling, but I think Ben Brantley swooned over it. Here's the info the website provides:

Synopsis: Based on actual events, Casa Valentina is set in the 1960s and tells the tale of men who went to the Catskill Mountains to escape the summer heat, and something else entirely: being men. Nestled in the land of dirty dancing and borscht belt comedy sat an inconspicuous bungalow colony that catered to a very special clientele: heterosexual men whose favorite pastime was dressing and acting as women. It was paradise for these men—white-collar professionals with families—to spend their weekends discreetly and safely inhabiting their chosen female alter egos. But when faced with the opportunity to become an official organization, these "self-made women" had to decide whether public recognition would help them gain a place in open society or spell their own personal disaster.

And, the summary of reviews, with links to the full reviews: http://www.didhelikeit.com/shows/casa-valentina-reviews.html

Personally, I don't see this show making it, but then, men in dresses is not an appealing topic for me. Others might like it more. Theater fans may see it just to see good acting.

UPDATE: Harvey Feirstein interviewed on the show at towleroad.com: http://www.towleroad.com/2014/04/fierstein.html

• 1 month later...

I saw "Casa Valentina" last night and loved every minute of it. While I respect the negative reviews posted here, I think that this was a thought-provoking, moving play, with a superb ensemble cast. I realize that what one thinks of a play is heavily influenced by one's experiences, and that Foxy and I apparently have different backgrounds. His initial review is thoughtful and reasoned, hardly a screed. Several friends have seen it and liked it, and the almost sold-out audience last night appeared to like the play as much as I did. I have recommended it to my theater-going friends, and I urge readers here to see it also.

I like to see plays in preview so I can form my own opinion and not be influenced by the professional reviewers. Since I'm able to see a lot of shows that's a luxury not everyone has. Theater tickets are expensive even when discounted. However I often go with certain expectations depending on the playwright and cast. I think in this case, because it was Harvey Fierstein, I was expecting a comedy and was disappointed. I'm glad for all concerned that the play is doing well and happy that others are enjoying the show.

Archived