THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

If/Then

foxy
This topic is 3831 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

"What if". That's the premise of this musical that follows the lead character Elizabeth, Idina Menzel, through various good and not so good relationships. Sometimes she's Beth and sometimes Liz depending on which of the two directions she has chosen. The background lighting of the stage is either red or blue to clue you in on which part she is playing. I really liked the idea of the show but to be honest I was often confused. The switching back and forth comes so quickly at times. My seat was in the orchestra, 5th row which put me close to the action but to the far right end of the stage. I think I lost the full effect of the staging. There is a large overhead mirror which moves and would have been better seen from the center. Keep that in mind if you decide to buy a ticket to the show. The music was written byTom Kitt and Brian Yorkey who wrote "Next to Normal" and so it has an edgy quality to it. The last solo number sung by Idina Menzel really brings the house down. Oddly there is no list of songs listed in my copy of Playbill. It's possible they are still tinkering with the show.

Of the lead performers in the show I particularly liked LaChanze who plays the lesbian best friend. Anthony Rapp was okay as the gay male best friend. James Snyder who plays the boyfriend/husband is very attractive but I didn't care for the nasal quality of his voice. The choreography is rather dull. I kept thinking the dancers were counting in their heads "one, two, three now jump and spin. Of course the main reason to see the show is for Idina. She is a powerhouse vocally and while I was watching the play I sometimes found myself wishing I was at an Idina Menzel concert.

Foxy, Good review of this musical... When I saw "If/Then", I had a feeling that those in attendance were only there to see Idina Menzel and had no idea what this show was about... Her singing is exceptional but don't focus on the lyrics. She was able to make a song entitled "WTF" sound great and "I love you, I hate you" even better... This performance was almost sold out and tickets at TKTS only gave a 30% discount.

Usually musicals are not hard to follow but this one was. It's confusing when she switches from one "what if" to the another. Unlike foxy, I wasn't even aware of the light change. The show begins as it ends, confusing... It's still in previews, so reviews aren't available.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRk-ADOXTmmOB9tk5XQSybegdX2T-bwomCozxbg2XwYqzk1sCy3

• 2 weeks later...

If/Then... Reviews are in

If/Then is official open... The critics now have their say... Seems all agree that Idina Menzel's singing (not acting) is amazing and, if you're a fan, go see it... However, it was hard to find anything else worth seeing in this "complicated" musical.

Like the critics, I, too, had a problem following the different scenarios played out by Ms. Menzel's character. This musical will do well only because of it's leading lady.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/idina-menzel-theater-review-692175

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory/review-menzel-shines-ifthen-sloppy-23122120

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/31/theater/in-if-then-idina-menzel-travels-two-paths.html?_r=0

http://variety.com/2014/legit/reviews/broadway-review-ifthen-starring-idina-menzel-1201150134/

http://usa.streetsblog.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/IdinaMenzel_National-Theatre.jpg

The funny thing is ... it's the fact that the musical is "complicated" that I appreciated. After so many of those cookie cutter musicals (Rocky, Wicked, Billy Elliott, Spamalot, you name it) it was nice to see something that was a bit different ....

I didn't find the plot complicated, in fact, it's a simple story of a woman living out her life had she chosen 2 different paths... It's the script that's poorly written and confusing. A perfect example would be when she goes from having a child, to not having a child, to having 2 children, then back to having none. HUH? .... Fortunately, Idina Menzel, belts out some great tunes to help you forget what the writers were hoping to accomplish.

I agree with the critics, this musical still needs some more work.

I didn't find the plot complicated, in fact, it's a simple story of a woman living out her life had she chosen 2 different paths... It's the script that's poorly written and confusing. A perfect example would be when she goes from having a child, to not having a child, to having 2 children, then back to having none. HUH? .... Fortunately, Idina Menzel, belts out some great tunes to help you forget what the writers were hoping to accomplish.

I agree with the critics, this musical still needs some more work.

I don't think the story is complicated but the music itself and the overall concept is complex unlike the usual musical dreck (which is just about every new musical that appears) which shows up on Broadway. The last really great Broadway musical was Light in the Piazza and that wasn't even technically in a Broadway theater.

I hadn't read Terry Teachout's review of If/Then- perhaps because it just went up- but I was delighted to see that he didn't like it much either! And he doesn't mince words: http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303978304579471790328514428?mg=reno64-wsj

(It follows his review of Raisin in the Sun)

Teachout is my favorite theater critic. He always seems to be spot on.

One problem is that the singers are over-amplified. It makes them sound shrill much of the time. As to the plot, it did seem unduly complicated because they kept cutting between different realities and so the back-story seemed to keep changing. There were long stretches that seemed fine, and the second act was more understandable than the first once you got used to all the switching back and forth. But ultimately one has to ask "why bother"? If the music was better, it would be worth the effort. I found the music so unmemorable in the first half that my mind kept wandering. Again, second act was better.

Archived