THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Bullets Over Broadway

skynyc
This topic is 3795 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Just saw Bullets Over Broadway now in previews at the St. James Theater.

Get your tickets now.

The show is fun from start to finish. A good "old-fashioned" musical. Not full of emotional angst, or Sondheim-ian gravitas (both of which I do love), this is kind of a Valentine to the Broadway of the 60s. (Or should I say it's the Saint Valentine's Day Massacre to the Broadway of the 60s.) Pretty chorines dancing in a nightclub, lush costumes and impressive set pieces, a delicious tap number done by the most improbable of cast-members...and a double-entendre number that brings down the house.

Each of the many wonderful Broadway personalities (Marin Mazzie, Karen Ziemba, Betsy Wolfe, Brooks Ashmanskas, etc.) has a number or two that really show them off. (I wish KZ had more...) The TV-Q folks (Zach Braff and Vincent Pastore) commit themselves terrifically, and the relative newcomers (Nick Cordero and Helene Yorke) both steal the show.

The sets are impressive, and the costumes alone are worth the price of admission.

The score, made up of songs from the period fit nicely in every instance (with one exception to my mind, I wonder if folks will agree). The audience roared with approval after at least seven numbers.

The gunshots and growing body count are handled with good humor.

The show officially opens on April 10th. I suggest you have tickets by then, or you will be waiting until September to get decent seats.

Tony Awards to William Ivey Long for costumes, and Woody Allen for Best Book. Cordero and Yorke are sure to be nominated, as will Marin Mazzie...(but in which category.) And Best New Musical...no question.

I look forward to seeing it again.

skynyc, I don't dispute any of what you say. I made the mistake of going to see this show on the same day I arrived from California. When the curtain went up, my eyes went down, and didn't open again until I heard a bunch of clapping as the intermission began. I wad embarrassed so I didn't stay for the second act, especially after the guy next to me gave me an odd look when I woke up!

I saw it this evening. The show had some fun moments and the cast was good overall. It seemed old fashioned to me just not in a great way. The audience was very enthusiastic so I'm sure the show will do well. I'm not sorry I saw it but I wasn't crazy about it.

Bulletts Over Broadway...

Had no problem getting day-of discounted tickets at TKTS. I was able to purchase 5th row orchestra for 1/2 price. Tickets were available right up to the start of the show... I agree with foxy on his review. Bullets Over Broadway is somewhat entertaining. The acting by some of the leads was good, the dancing and singing was lively, and it had creative set designs.

I've seen a few of this year's new musicals. If/Then, After Midnight, and Bridges of Madison County all had big names and great singing, and Rocky had an amazing 2nd act. For me, there was nothing memorable about Bullets Over Broadway. I found the jokes to be few and far between and the show just seemed to drag.

I was looking forward to seeing this show as I enjoy musicals. I'm still hoping that there is more to come as new shows are still opening.

The bullets were blanks! I guess it wasn't just my jet lag that made me sleep through this one.

Frankly, In all fairness, Bullets Over Broadway isn't a "sleeper"... Skynyc, whose opinion I respect, wrote a stellar review. Foxy and I just didn't share his enthusiasm but did notice many in the audience enjoying it. It's an individual preference. Once the show officially opens, the critics will have their shot at critiquing this musical comedy. Let's see what they have to say... Btw, you mentioned you saw "A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder". Imo, a much better musical comedy.

Yes, Gentleman's Guide was so much better than most of what passes for a musical these days. Very clever, funny, great sets and good acting. Cooper, I will grant that many were laughing at Bullets. The show Beyond Therapy was just dreadful, but the guy behind me was guffawing the whole way. I wanted to ask him why. Just like we all have different tastes in men, we have different senses of humor and appreciation of theater. That's one reason I love to read the reviews here. And I will grant you that skynyc is for a long time now one of our best reviewers.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, skynyc, your recommendation for this show isn't being supported by the critics. From the LA Times to the NY Times, Bullets disappoints. The LA Times says it "misses the bulls-eye" and has "ostentatious flaws." http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/arts/culture/la-et-cm-bullets-over-broadway-review-20140411,0,6262390.story?utm_campaign=linkbox_override&utm_source=wwwlatimes&utm_content=section#axzz2yXeCcP6Y

The NY Times admits that the show is "occasionally funny" but "charm free." http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/11/theater/woody-allen-transforms-his-bullets-over-broadway.html?hpw&rref=theater

The NY Daily News also calls it a "miss." Still, it gives three stars, saying "this musical certainly works its tail off to tickle and delight."

The NY Post does not have its review up yet, surprisingly since the LA Times does!

Variety says "close, but no cigar" and goes on to lament the weak dancing. http://variety.com/2014/legit/reviews/broadway-review-woody-allens-bullets-over-broadway-1201155406/

Let's not leave out Terry Teachout at the Wall Street Journal. He says "it has the sweet scent of a box-office smash." He concludes "Bullets Over Broadway" is solidly entertaining in its unoriginal, unchallenging way. Of how many recent Broadway musicals can even that be said?"

Well, I guess not as many as we'd like.

• 1 month later...

Liked this more than I had expected to. Not outstanding but certainly enjoyable. Costuming and sets were excellent and overall the cast is strong.

Saw this on a Friday night and there were many empty seats and even more after intermission. I suspect they are hoping that a Tony or two might bolster sales, if not I expect we will soon hear of closing a date.

Archived