THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Rocky

foxy
This topic is 3734 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

This show came as a big surprise to me. I'm not a fan of boxing and barely remembered the movie. It just seemed like a bad idea for a musical, but I liked it a lot. The movie came back to me as the show continued. They got it all in. Boxing with the sides of beef and running up that big flight of stairs. Andy Karl was terrific as Rocky. He looks the part and sings quite well. The big fight scene was truly amazing. What they do with the set knocked me out. Terence Archie who plays Apollo Creed has one of the most astounding bodies I've ever seen on a stage. Actually there are quite a few good looking hunks in this show. But at it's heart is a really sweet story of an unlikely romance between Rocky and Adrian and it's nice to root for the underdog. Highly recommended.

Rocky on Broadway

Saw a Wednesday matinee of "Rocky" the musical. It's playing at the Winter Garden which is a very large theater and, after seeing this show, I can understand why they selected this location... I really enjoyed it, great acting, wonderful singing, captivating story, and lots of action. The 2nd Act is very lively and exciting, perhaps one of the best stage transformations I've ever seen. The boxing number is so well choreographed, one slip of a punch and someone is going to get seriously injured... If you purchase center orchestra seats (perhaps rows 1-10) you'll be moved on stage for the boxing scene, then the boxing ring will be moved over those seats to create the arena effect. Previews are now over and today it officially opens. It will be interesting to read what the critics think of it.

http://www.rockybroadway.com/?gclid=CPO_6d3Qj70CFRFp7AodpG0AfQ

A few reviews I've read so far have not been great but again seeing shows in preview allows you to form your own opinion. I still think the show is worth seeing, especially if you can get a discounted ticket. Bullets Over Broadway looks like the one to see next. Discounts may be hard to come by.

Sounds like pretty much all the critics agree the fight scene at the end is THE reason to see the show (but that most of what comes before that is very weak). Everyone also seems to be panning the Aherns and Flaherty score, which is a shame, because I think they have written some excellent scores. But then again, I never really thought Rocky was crying out to be musicalized - and if the music is indeed one of the weakest links, I have to say that doesn't surprise me.

I have also heard a lot of comments that one of the problems is that the show strives too hard to be faithful to the screenplay. And I agree that in this case that might be a problem - what works onscreen is not necessarily going to translate well to the stage. But that's really one of those no-win situation things with adaptations - if they had changed too much, there would most likely be people faulting the show for NOT staying closer to the source. So no one can really ever win that fight. :p

Sounds like pretty much all the critics agree the fight scene at the end is THE reason to see the show (but that most of what comes before that is very weak). Everyone also seems to be panning the Aherns and Flaherty score, which is a shame, because I think they have written some excellent scores. But then again, I never really thought Rocky was crying out to be musicalized - and if the music is indeed one of the weakest links, I have to say that doesn't surprise me.

I have also heard a lot of comments that one of the problems is that the show strives too hard to be faithful to the screenplay. And I agree that in this case that might be a problem - what works onscreen is not necessarily going to translate well to the stage. But that's really one of those no-win situation things with adaptations - if they had changed too much, there would most likely be people faulting the show for NOT staying closer to the source. So no one can really ever win that fight. :p

From what I've read online the fight scene is the ONLY reason to see the show. I usually see everything but I've been particularly busy lately and have put this one off. Everything I read online said the music was awful and I've always hated the movie (worst best picture winner ever, perhaps) so unless I just want to see the two hunks shirtless for 20 minutes I can't come up with another reason to go.

• 4 months later...

Archived