THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Gravity in 3D

foxy
This topic is 3992 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I'm not usually a big fan of 3D but this is a pretty amazing movie and it sure works here. The only way to see this movie is in the theater. Make sure you buckle your seat belt. Sandra Bullack does a great job and it's definitely her movie. George Clooney is in it too.

I'm not usually a big fan of 3D but this is a pretty amazing movie and it sure works here. The only way to see this movie is in the theater. Make sure you buckle your seat belt. Sandra Bullack does a great job and it's definitely her movie. George Clooney is in it too.

Thanks for the heads up...It is definitely on my list of "Things-to-do"

Also saw it in 3D... It captured my attention from beginning to end... Sandra Bullock, the real Gravity star, takes quite a beating in this movie... Yes, George Clooney is in it, almost as a comic relief...

Ground control to Major Tom...

Normally I would have waited for the Screener copy to be sent around awards time, but this film looked like it might be more of an experience if seen in 3D and even IMAX. Well it was and I did.

So many good things to say about this film in addition to the fine Oscar worthy performance of Sandra Bullock. The technical aspects dazzle and at times the camera angle actually makes you feel as if you are outside the capsule, untethered, and looking down at Earth through empty space. The sense of isolation is so complete it is unnerving.

I can't say enough about how gripping this film is from beginning to end. It begins disarmingly as astronauts work unbound by gravity outside the space shuttle. The dialogue is more like banter belying the real risks of what they are doing. As things begin to turn, the action accelerates as on a roller coaster and once it begins, it doesn't stop messing with you until it's over. Not much dialogue but what's there is "cherse" What a well crafted, well written well produced white knuckle ride. See it in 3D for sure and IMAX if you can.(

I loved this movie, and the 3D actually made sense instead of just being trickery. Not only is Bullock in every scene, I think she's in every shot. She's astoundingly good. She didn't deserve the Oscar for "The Blind Side" but she definitely deserves one for "Gravity". If you give yourself over to the fantasy of this movie, it's a wild ride. If you look for logic in some of the things she goes through and how she copes with them, then you'll hate it. It is also a surprisingly moving film; I felt myself choking up twice, and that's rare for me.

I loved this movie, and the 3D actually made sense instead of just being trickery. Not only is Bullock in every scene, I think she's in every shot. She's astoundingly good. She didn't deserve the Oscar for "The Blind Side" but she definitely deserves one for "Gravity". If you give yourself over to the fantasy of this movie, it's a wild ride. If you look for logic in some of the things she goes through and how she copes with them, then you'll hate it. It is also a surprisingly moving film; I felt myself choking up twice, and that's rare for me.

I must be cold blooded. I kept waiting for her character to die. :p

A gripping and powerful tale of an astronaut's attempt to escape from a disastrous experience in outer space. Movie rips by very quickly. Bullock is excellent.

A good year for actresses...Blanchette in Blue Jasmine, Julia Roberts and Meryl Streep in the upcoming August: Osage County, and Julia Louis Dreyfus in Enough Said.

Also of note...Captain Phillips starring Tom Hanks, another gripping on the edge of your seat thriller based on a true story of a cargo ship captured by Somali pirates. Very, very good! Hanks could get another nom.

Saw the trailer for the upcoming film Dallas Buyers club. I was completely startled by the amazing 47 pound weight loss by Matthew McConaughy!!!

McConaughey plays Ron Woodruff, a Texas rodeo cowboy who is diagnosed with HIV and given 30 days to live. Because he can't get the experimental drugs he believes he needs, Woodruff sets up a pipeline to Mexico to help fellow patients obtain medications not yet approved by the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA).

Jennifer Garner co-stars as Dr. Eve Saks, with whom Woodruff develops a special relationship. And Jared Leto plays an equally emaciated transvestite prostitute, Rayon, who partners with Woodruff in the drug game.

Woodruff is seen crossing the Mexico-U.S. border dressed as a priest, and being interrograted by officials who ask, "Walker, Dorsett, these are patients?" When Woodruff responds, "Yes sir," he's told, "They're also names of players on the Dallas Cowboys." Woodriff replies, "That's a hell of a coincidence."

At one point in the trailer, Woodruff declares of the drugs, "They're not illegal. They're merely unapproved." Woodruff is depicted as a man on a mission, who won't let his disease kill his drive. "Man, I got one life," says Woodruff. "I want it to mean something."

"Dallas Buyers Club" will be in theaters Dec. 6.

ED

• 2 weeks later...

"Gravity" is finally out in theaters outside the USA. I saw the avant-premiere last night. I opted for the 3D version and I wasn't disappointed.

As George Clooney so beautifully says "You can't beat the view from up there!"

http://www.3dwallz.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/ws_Earth_from_space_1920x1200.jpg

Please let me add a dissenting opinion. I don't usually go to science fiction movies, but this movie got rave reviews from all the critics. Metacritic.com averaged the "scores" of 48 critics, and "Gravity" got a 96 out of 100, which is almost unheard of. So I was expecting to like this movie.

Unfortunately, I thought it was one of the most boring movies I've ever seen. I was going to walk out, but decided that it might have a socko finish, since it got such great reviews. It doesn't. For me, this was a total waste of time and money.

The special effects are outstanding, and the 3-D, which I still think is just a gimmick, enhances the viewing experience. But, gee, what a snoozer!!! I discussed this with friends, most of whom liked it, but a significant minority agreed with me.

yes, the reviews are almost unheard-of positive....seeing it in about four hours in 3D, but not at the IMAX theater....if I sit close enough, I may get the IMAX effect anyway

just got back from seeing it...I paid a surcharge to see it in "Extreme Digital" (XD) 3D....it was definitely not a "boring snoozer", as beethoven suggests above, but it had very little plot and not a lot of acting talent was required of the two actors in it.....

HOWEVER!!!.....the special effects were incredible and seeing it in 3D is MANDATORY!.....a lot of people worked on the effects (yup, I'm a credit watcher) and I really wonder if this flick was just a vehicle for golly-gee-whiz special effects/computer graphics......well worth it for the effects alone and I'll see it again with my little movie-going clique when they're ready.....

Archived