THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Big Fish

edjames
This topic is 3979 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

At last, a warm, loving, funny musical is running in previews and is about to open on Broadway.

Based on the Tim Burton film, Big Fish follows the life of Edward Bloom and Alabamian who has a penchant for making the stories of his life bigger than they really are. A traveling salesman, whenever questioned by his young son, Edward's exploits become bigger and filled with all kinds of characters such as giants, mermaids, witches and others. When his son returns home to get married, he finally confronts his father on what is true and what isn't.

A wonderful cast, lead by Nobert Leo Butz, Bobby Steggert and Kate Baldwin, this musical has a wonderful score by Andrew Lippa (The Addams Family), and is ably directed and choreographed by Susan Stroman. The lightening and projection design are also very good. Willism Ivey Long is the costume designer, and although he doesn't have the chance to wow us as he did so well in Cinderella, his costumes are very inventive.

SPOILER ALERT....

the ending is sad, (the six ladies in front of me all took out their tissues) but contains one of the best Broadway numbers I've heard in a long time, "Be The Hero."

Highly recommended. Opens next week...

ED

I got to see Big Fish in Chicago back in April in its pre-New York run! As Ed states, it is a wonderful and heart-warming piece suitable for families. It has a bit of that Tim Burton look but is not staged to be quite as dreamlike as the movie, yet I think (at least from the performance I saw, with the identical cast as Broadway) it gets the father’s (Norbert Leo Butz is phenomenal!) “big fish” stories over with the music, dance and casting. I hope it sells so I can see it again the next time I get to NYC.

TruHart1:cool:

• 2 weeks later...

I assume the word is getting around about "Big Fish". I attended a Wednesday matinee performance that was sold out. Tickets were available at TKTS and on-line discount sites.

It was still in previews when I saw it and, now that it's officially open, I've read some mixed reviews.

Although the acting is good, the stand out performance is given by Norbert Leo Butz. He's amazing and believable.

I enjoyed the many stories that are told and how each one came alive on stage. The father/son relationship was nicely developed and the river in front of the stage worked for me.

The show kept my interest right up to the end.

• 1 month later...

Archived