THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

theater suggestions

Guest verymarried
This topic is 4043 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Guest verymarried

From small middle American city, coming to Manhattan early October with family. Haven't been in NYC for a couple years. Want to get tickets for a couple plays for all of us and value gay guys' advice. The family favors The Book of Mormon or Kinky Boots. They have seen most of the earlier big productions like Wicked, Phantom etc. I prefer smaller venues and productions like the ones I have seen at Vivian Beaumont at Lincoln Center, but don't favor the current production there. Do you have a suggestion for a larger production and a maybe an off-Broadway venue. Also, what do you hear about the not-yet-open new play based on the Grisham book? Thanks very much.

What are the ages of your children? Book of Morman is a "mature audience" themed show, the adult humor may be inappropriate for them. You mentioned Kinky Boots (terrific choice), but now that it's already September 2, have you checked ticket availability or are you planning on shelling out mega bucks for premium seating? Other choices for family themed shows are Pippin and Matilda, although both have recently undergone cast changes, but should still be enjoyable.

Other family oriented shows include Annie, Newsies, or Jersey Boys.

I saw A Time To Kill at the Arena Stage in Washington DC a couple of years ago and I thought it was terrific and faithful to the book. It's probably had a bit of work done to prep for the Broadway opening but I am sure it will be good.

I can't say that I think there's that much out there in the off-Broadway stages right now that is truly worthwhile, but check the off-Broadway listing for shows that are opening before you hit the city. Some of the more fun and adventurous shows like Natasha and Pierre and the Great Comet of 1812 are closing, but you might consider Peter and The Starcatcher.

Good luck and enjoy your trip....

ED

You mentioned Kinky Boots (terrific choice), but now that it's already September 2, have you checked ticket availability or are you planning on shelling out mega bucks for premium seating?

Kinky Boots seems to be a love-it-or-hate-it kind of show. I was talking to a theatre colleague the other day - a director who has developed a huge interest in fostering/developing new musicals (so, i.e. he doesn't shoot down new material simply because it's new and different) who really had nothing encouraging to say about the show at all. However, he's a huge Matilda fan. Personally, I wasn't enthused by the Kinky Boots number on the Tony awards, but admittedly I haven't seen/heard the rest of the material.

I would agree about Peter And The Starcatcher - again, I haven't had the chance to see it, but everything I know about it is great, and the reactions I've heard have all been very enthusiastic.

I have a friend in the ensemble of Annie (Mrs. Pugh/understudy for Miss Hannigan), and for that matter I have a former student playing Matt in The Fantasticks. But that's not an outright endorsement of either production, lol - though they are indeed both great family-oriented choices. (The thing about Annie that no one seems to remember is that it's NOT just about little girls belting their faces off; there's a whole more adult plot in there, and lots of political/Depression-themed references, etc. The orphans aren't actually in the majority of the show.)

I think "Kinky Boots" is awful and wouldn't recommend it. I found the choreography unimaginative and mundane and can't understand why it was even nominated for a Tony, let alone the winner. If you want a show with good choreography excellently danced, then "Newsies" would be my choice, especially for a younger audience. "Mathilda" is wonderful too.

Guest verymarried

Thank you for the prompt and helpful replies. My kids are teens so I am really not worried about adult themes except that I of course would want them to understand the material and enjoy their time. I will look at Peter and the Star Catcher and Mathilda more carefully.

Everyone's take is a little different here. I go to shows to be entertained, and thus often find myself in the minority as often I find the "critically acclaimed" less satisfying than the "popular".

Below is my take on what's currently on Broadway

Newsies - best danced show on Broadway, saw this for the second time and actually like the lead somewhat better than the original Jeremy Jordan. Liked the original "specs" dancer better than the current- thought everyone else was on par, better or was actually the same actor as when I saw originally.

Kinky Boots - highly entertaining if not great art. Cast is uniformly excellent, especially Billy Porter - best actor in a Musical Tony Winner; and of course the show won best musical.

Pippin - super entertaining staging of a somewhat problematic musical, won Best revival and I agree

Book of Mormon - as noted very adult themes and language, not great music or dancing, but probably the funniest show around. Also the highest average ticket prices week after week, currently running close to $200 a ticket. Practically all the orchestra is "premium seating". Went with 4 friends last Oct, bought our seats 4 months in advance and wound up with 4 individual seats scattered around the balcony.

Matilda - Bertie Carvel has just left, or is leaving. Very dark. More thought provoking than light entertainment.

Rock of Ages - over amplified juke box musical. Saw it in original theatre and now at the Helen Hayes. I think they left the amps at the same level as the previous venue. It literally hurt a couple of times, and my ears were ringing for hours. If this were a industrial work site you would be required to wear hearing protection. Also adult themes.

Cinderella - Rogers and Hammerstein from the 50's, but cast holds you. Rebecca Luker is taking over fairy godmother from Victoria Clark, love her voice so I would expect no adverse affect.

I don't see as much off Broadway. Peter and the Starcatcher and Buyer and Cellar are the two currently running that I would recommend. Natasha...Comet of 1812 is closing tomorrow, so unless you are already in NY.

Jersey Boys, Phantom, Mamma Mia, Wicked, Chicago, etc - from your original question I would expect you would have seen these or know what you need to know about them.

If Kinky or BOM are high on your list I would buy ASAP as all of these sell out on weekends. Since you talk about bringing teens I am assuming you are on the weekend, but you definitely stand a better chance for seats on say a Tuesday, Wed, or Thursday night. Both KB and BOM are selling standing room day of. If you want to see what was available on discounts look here http://www.entertainment-link.com/tkts.asp

Guest verymarried

Thanks for the continued recommendations and advice. Despite reservations expressed here, the family seemed intent on Kinky Boots and I went ahead and purchased nosebleed seats together off stubhub for about 130/seat. Still intrigued by the Grisham play and/or looking for a counterpoint non-musical. I like the Vivian Beaumont offerings later in the year. thanks so much, again.

I have tickets to "Betrayal" and "A Time to Kill" in Nov. I have heard good things about the Grisham play, so have high hopes, but buying before they even start previews is a bit of a crap shoot.

Announced today is that Natasha...Great Comet of 1812 is moving uptown, opening Sept 24 and running into Dec. Sounds like there may be some cast changes with the move. So it is a possibility

Natasha, Pierre and the Great Comet of 1812 is a fun show. They are taking their downtown Meatpacking District tent and pitching it on an empty lot on 45th St and Eighth Av....

There was a rumor going around they wanted to move the show into the St. James theater and wanted to remove the orchestra seats, replacing them with tables and chairs.

The show has been on discounts, with and without dinner, and this move uptown will eliminate the unneccesary so-so meal included in the ticket prices. Interestingly, feedback from audience emmebrs said the food was unnecessary. However, ticket prices in the new location will remain the same and alcoholic drinks will be served...but beware, the drink prices at this venue can be very expensive!

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/09/03/natasha-pierre-and-the-great-comet-of-1812-moving-to-midtown/?_r=0

ED

Archived