THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Betty Buckley

beethoven
This topic is 4048 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

One of the contributors to the Bernadette Peters thread mentioned Betty Buckley. She is now appearing on West 42nd St at the Signature Theater in "The Old Friends," an early Horton Foote play. I never realized what a good actress she is. The play, now in previews, is more Tennessee Williams than Horton Foote, and is not characteristic of most of Mr Foote's plays, which was pointed out in the post-play discussion. Hallie Foote and Lois Smith are in the excellent cast. One problem with these post-play discussions is, how can you criticize the play when the author's daughter is up there on the stage, along with the director and the cast? The "talk back" (I hate that word!) was a love fest, but there were plenty of audience members who expressed disappointment with the play -- but not publicly.

I'm a subscriber to the Signature, and although I don't think every play they present is wonderful, every one is intelligent, provocative, and well acted. The Signature Theater is also one of the best bargains in New York.

I'm interested in what the critics will think of the play, and I hope that there will be some comments here.

Buckley is a theatre treasure. She can take even mediocre material (Sunset Boulevard, Cats, Eight is Enough on t.v.) and make it good. The first time I ever saw her was in "1776" before she became a star; I think it was her first B'way show. I then saw her as Fran in the London production of "Promises, Promises" with Tony Roberts and became a lifelong fan. The woman is fantastic and can do everything but juggle!

The woman is fantastic and can do everything but juggle!

Are you sure? It wouldn't surprise me if she does!!!! Did anyone see her Carnegie Hall concert? The word 'fantastic' was actually invented to describe it!!!!

Did anyone see her Carnegie Hall concert? The word 'fantastic' was actually invented to describe it!!!!

I agree. Seldom has a singer attempted so many high powered songs, like "Rose's Turn" from Gypsy, and been so sucessful.

It was a fantastic evening. I believe it was a benefit concert for an AIDS organization. Am I correct?

I agree. Seldom has a singer attempted so many high powered songs, like "Rose's Turn" from Gypsy, and been so sucessful.

It was a fantastic evening. I believe it was a benefit concert for an AIDS organization. Am I correct?

I am pretty sure you are correct about the AIDS reference. There is a cd of the concert.

She played Mama Rose in "Gypsy" a few years ago (at Papermill, I think) and by all accounts, it was a definitive performance. You can see clips of it on You Tube. She always includes Rose's Turn in her concerts now and it's pretty impressive. I have friends who worked with her in "Pippin" and "Cats" and always said what a consummate pro she was but didn't suffer fools gladly. John Simon, who was hardly ever nice about anybody, adored her and lamented the fact that she was hardly ever given anything to do worthy of her talents. I think he said that in his review of "Triumph of Love", which is a gem of a show that flopped. Apparently, her performance in it was superlative. I have seen clips and heard the recordings of the infamous "Carrie" and Buckley is tremendous as the mother. Even in crap, her genius shines through.

Archived