THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

First Love - the new season begins...

skynyc
This topic is 4086 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Two shows of the new season started previews yesterday: Forever Tango, a revisit of this Tango "revue" starring dancers from Dancing with the Stars, and First Love, a new show transferring from Seattle.

I have a friend in from out of town who wanted to see this brand new show before he departed, so we went to the first preview.

It's hard to judge a show on a first preview, but this is pretty tight and the audience (probably made up of friends, family and investors) loved it; cheering every number. I didn't hate it.

I really don't know what they're thinking putting this on Broadway. It has a place in NY...should be at the Westside or somewhere...it's basically a flashier version of I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change. The book has some VERY funny lines, but like an episode of Saved by the Bell you know what's going to happen before you sit down, so I kept hoping for some surprises.

The score has some cute moments. There are a couple cute songs, (no real melodies), but some distinctly fun musical bits. Again, how these two guys with some Hollywood writing credits got this gig amazes me. Probably all their prep school friends. Not to say that there's not some talent...but for a first attempt, this should be in a smaller venue, allowing them to be appreciated for trying, instead of eviscerated for overreaching.

The company is terrific...they work very hard, like the cast of Once they're all over the place, onstage the whole time and playing lots of different roles. VERY strong group of performances.

The leads: Krysta Rodriguez is great...she's playing to type...basically a grown-up Wednesday Addams. Sings well, and does the right stuff. Zachary Levi is simple adorable. He is the reason folks invested, and he comes through. Charming and funny with perfect comic timing, I suspect he'll get a Theater World Award even if the show only lasts a week...(Peter Felicia will want to meet him.) His singing is fine...not up to par with KR, but with this material, even I could put it across.

Blake Hammond has a couple great bits, and a super number which sounds like it could be from When Pigs Fly. Campy and sweet.

There's one completely offensive gay portrayal that's fine when we see it the first time, but he recurs three times and by the third time, even the straight audience around me was turned off. Probably NOT by the character, they wouldn't mind those cliches, but by the fact that it was completely unbelievable that he'd be best friends with Krysta Rodriguez' character. This would be fairly easily fixable by the director...but I suspect he'd rather have the cheap laugh.

To be honest, I will recommend this to folks if they can get a tdf ticket, under $50, just to see Levi...he's that cute. But with this material that's the price point it merits, and should be OFF-Broadway.

I don't mean this to sound like a pan. I found a lot of positive things, but for $69.50, (from the half-price booth) it seemed expensive.

Critics will hate it...but honestly, this might...with the right marketing campaign...catch with the tourist crowd who wants to see a TV star, (who lives up to expectations.) But even for them, is it worth $137???? I fear not.

I think you meant "FIRST DATE."

http://firstdatethemusical.com/?gclid=CPyz8amvpbgCFQai4AodmX0A3g

Not sure of your eligibility but TDF has it on their website for $40.

Trust me, there have been far worse things on Broadway in seasons past, but it is never a good sign when productions attempt to begin a run mid-summer.

It hasn't come across my radar, so I'll wait awhile before I make any decision, but your opinion is appreciated.

Forever Tango has been around before with both Maksim and Karina. Just for fun, I'm seeing it tonight on a TDF ticket. 10 weeks, a perfect tourist show. Fans of Dancing With the Stars will flock to it. If only Gleb, Dereck, Mark or Dimitri were dancing in it....I'd be at the stage door every night! LOL

ED

Oops...yes, of course...First Date. Thank you, how embarrassing.

I went with a friend who was in from out of town and he had only the one slot to see it, and the first preview wasn't on TDF...all the seats filled by investors and friends. So we did the half-price booth.

I agree, there have been many other things on Broadway which were disasters, and this isn't a disaster...just a show that doesn't merit the Broadway price, in my opinion of course.

I've seen Forever Tango in a couple previous incarnations...so I can pass this go round.

I thought of you last night as I lined up to enter the Walter Kerr theater for Forever Tango and glanced across the street at the Longacre Theater. Didn't seem too busy over there while the line for Forever Tango was way down the block.

Forever Tango has been around for years and has toured the globe. It originally opened on Broadway in 1997, receiving numerous Drama Desk and Tony Award nominations. It returned to Broadway for a four-month engagement in 2004. It's back again with an updated cast, except for Maksim and Karina who appeared in the 2004 version. I saw that show and all I could remember is Karina slipping and falling on stage. Fortunately she stayed upright last night. The show was very entertaining and the dancers very accomplished pros. It's a bare bones version, so no sets or other gimmicks. The production, which includes 16 tango dancers, one vocalist and an 11-piece orchestra, currently features vocalist Gilberto Santa Rosa. The music is typical tango style.

The dancers maintain a very serious and formal dance style keeping in the spirit of the dance. Mostly everyone is dressed in black. Karina and Maks only perform about 4 dances together, so their time on stage is brief.

I enjoyed it. I'm a fan of all forms of dance and this was a satisfying and enjoyable evening of latin tango song and dance For a discounted TDF ticket, it was worth it.

ED

• 2 weeks later...

Forever Tango is something of a ripoff of a much-older show, Tango Argentina. The DwtS angle is a smart marketing ploy though. And it's certainly enjoyable.

And skynyc's review of First Date is spot-on IMHO. Preview balcony seats were actually available for $46.50. I knew I wouldn't want to pay top-dollar, so throw in binoculars and the price was right.

Archived